1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I sent my Razorback in a few days back for some minor slide stop adjustments (I've been having some premature lock backs due to a combination of bullet profiles, heavy recoil and the mags I'm using). I'd made some adjustments of my own to the slide stop but didn't wanna ruin a part by removing too much metal from the lug so I sent it it to have them give it a once over and make it run reliably for me.

Got a call from Scott @ DW and he indicated to me that, per my request, he dimpled the slide stop and will remove more material from the lug as to insure reliability. He also indicated to me that he was going to cut my receiver and re-barrel my pistol to a ramped one since my barrel seemed a bit over-throated from the factory (this is because I shoot almost all heavy loads for hunting and the extra support would help). In my case, this will all be under warranty.

I tell ALL of my friends and people asking about 1911's that DW is the best. Not only their product but their service. What other company takes such good care of their customers? There aren't many.

Thanks DW for your amazing customer service!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Good deal, great to hear when someone has been taken care of properly by any company. Kudos to DW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI Nick

Just curious...since I'm having last round jamming issues with my 10mm CBOB. After posting on the other sites and getting some good advice from folks I respect, I've come to the conclusion it's weak mag springs.

Then I noticed and read your thread. I have wondered about whether or not it might be a SS issue.

Mine has this issue with three different mags and all types of ammo. The last cartridge jams straight up or it fails to lock the slide open after last round.

Do you have a 10mm CBOB too? Just curious if you do and if you've had any issues with it. Especially with heavy loads such as DT?

I've decided to only run DT 200 gr XTP and FMJ's as a woods carry load once I get it running reliably. Otherwise mid range Georgia Arms for city loads and target.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I had a 10mm cbob and did not have that problem, but it sure sounds like the mags. What brand are you using? Mine came with metalforms and i necer had any problems with them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I haven't had any problems with my slide stop NOT locking back. The only issues i've had have been as a result of the nose of the round making contact with the inside lug of the slide stop, either from the forward jostling of the round due the recoil or sometimes as a result of the wide ogived bullets i sometimes shoot (Doubletap WFN Beartooth loads) physically making contact with the slide stop lug.

I would, however, really suggest upgrading the springs to Wolff XP in ANY 10mm 1911 auto. No reason not to.

If you're having problems with the slide NOT locking back then you could have a problem with the mag shelf being TOO SHORT to catch the slide stop lug. It could also, as you've said, be an issue of your mag springs being too weak and slide speed too fast.

Let me know what you find out, sir!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 10mm cbob and did not have that problem, but it sure sounds like the mags. What brand are you using? Mine came with metalforms and i necer had any problems with them.
Ironically, I have the Metalforms and Dan Wesson said that was a likely culprit for my premature lock backs. They advised that the new mags they use are less sensitive to this issue because of how they interact with the slide stops and because they have "stronger springs", though, they said that would be something i'd have to purchase with my own funds.

FWIW, I've always had GREAT luck with Metalforms so i'll probably not replace my existing ones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my baby back ...

My Razorback came back to me today after exactly 10 business days at Dan Wesson Service. Upon receiving my service slip, the work done was

1) Dimple slide stop per my request (not on list since Scott did this after receiving pistol but before calling me)
2) cut frame for ramped barrel
3) install new ramped barrel
4) install new bushing due to loose bushing (i had always WONDERED if it was too loose before.... I guess it was!)
5) replace sear and hammer
6) replace extractor (my extractor had been clocking just a bit)

I can tell you one thing.... the new barrel is fitted super tight and the bushing is the tightest fitting bushing I've EVER experienced! It was hard on my hands getting it installed even with a wrench. The bushing is also now stainless (my old one was black) I was already getting amazing 25 yd groups with a sloppy bushing...I can't WAIT to shoot this baby. The trigger is also much cleaner although I wouldn't say lighter... just cleaner. Definitely a change but I need to shoot it a bit and get used to it. My new hammer is also now ALL black. Looks very cool.

All in all, everything looks GREAT!

Thanks Scott and DW!! Will update after I test fire!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
case support / slide stop dimple

Here are a few more pics of both the case support with the new ramped barrel as well as my freshly dimpled slide stop. Sorry for the poor focus on the dimple pic.... I should have set up the pic differently to get my camera to focus on that tiny part of the pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nick

Regarding issues I was having with CBOB, I put in a 24# recoil spring and had less jamming issues, better but not completely resolved. I still haven't gotten around to new mag springs. Reminds me...I should be on the horn with Wolff.

It looks like DW did a great job on your Razorback. Best of luck with it and your upcoming hunt.

How does it shoot compared to the orignial setup?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick ...

It looks like DW did a great job on your Razorback. Best of luck with it and your upcoming hunt.

How does it shoot compared to the orignial setup?

Hey Jitterbug,

I haven't even had time to shoot it yet! I was going to go yesterday but didn't have time. :( Will try and get out to shoot it maybe wednesday or thurs. I'll post results.

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is that dust or a crack just above your thumb in the frist pic?
Here are a few more pics of both the case support with the new ramped barrel as well as my freshly dimpled slide stop. Sorry for the poor focus on the dimple pic.... I should have set up the pic differently to get my camera to focus on that tiny part of the pic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya know, I've been staring at this pic (from work) for a few minutes now... I saved the pic to my work PC and then zoomed up on it. If you zoom in, you will notice that the white colored "crack" or "hair" actually extends into or "over" the BLACK link pin which would indicate that its a hair, probably covered with FP-10 smashed against the metal contour (done while handling the pistol during cleaning).

I'll still be checking it in person though :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is that was NOT a crack in my barrel. I have no idea what it was exactly, although, as I speculated in my last comment, it was probably just a cat hair.

The bad news is that I didn't have time to go shooting this weekend. I AM going to see my Dad at the lake this weekend so I'll most DEFINITELY be shooting this weekend. Supposed to be beautiful, too! :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just thought i'd update this thread. I'm at the lake visiting Dad and got a chance to do some serious shooting yesterday and the results are in.... Flawless!! :)

I ran about 175 rounds through the Razorback of several different manufacturers, american eagle, umc, doubletap, HSM, various reloads and a few others i can't think of. Not a SINGLE premature slide lock and simply amazing accuracy! All I can say is i'm in love.

I'm gonna try and print some group from the bench tomorrow or Monday and i'll post results here as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.