1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 & 1/2 weeks ago I ordered a Stainless Mil-Spec from my local dealer, with no expected delivery date, as a reward to myself for having quit smoking. Well, late last nite I broke down and bought a new Stainless Loaded. The price was way too good to pass it up. It was an out of state purchase, but even after the shipping and transfer vs sales tax at home, I`ll only be spending a little more than $90.00 over the Mil-Spec. Sooooo, tomorrow I`ll have to stop in or call my local dealer to cancel the order, and let him know to be prepared for the transfer to arrive (I have had a signed form for 6 months). I don`t think he`ll be upset with me, his markup on the gun wasn`t much to begin with, and his fee for the transfer is a little higher than others around here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It`s Here!!!

It`s here!!!! My new Loaded (PX9151) came into my dealer on Saturday, and I picked it up Monday afternoon. Man, she sure is a good looking gun. My local dealer that handled the transfer was completely surprised as to the great look and fit of the gun. He`s never stocked or ordered in any Springfield Handguns before. One of my Sargent friends looked it all over when I was getting it "Safety Inspected" at the Sheriffs office and just about drooled on it. Hopefully I can get out to shoot it this weekend and put up a photo too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here she is guys. Got out to shoot it today too. 125 rds WWB and zero hiccups period. Accuracy was what I expected. When I brought it home from the dealer the other nite and field stripped it, the barrel bushing was very loosely fit. So at 15 yds offhand, it put all shots on an 8 inch paper plate, but no real groupings. A new EGW bushing will take care of that. And, I will also replace the ILS Mainspring housing guts with standard parts and either a 21 or 23 lb mainspring. That should help with the trigger pull a little. Over all I am very happy with this gun. It is everything I had hoped it would be. And when you figure the $710 purchase price, it is a really sweet deal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A new bushing should help out a bunch (like 4-5 inches). The bushing fit on this Loaded is worse than my GI was, which was replaced with the above mentioned EGW part. The bushing litterally wobbles on the end of the barrel. I swear I could throw it at the barrel from several feet away and have it installed on the barrel. And the bushing to slide fit is loose enough, that as I rotate the slide from side to side, the bushing rotates in the slide. That can add up to a lot of accuracy. The lighter mainspring may help a little, but I`m convinced that the bushing is the big ticket item here. I just got done ordering the parts from Midway. They should be here by next weekend. Too bad I`ll be gone all next weekend though, I`ll have to wait at least another week to see how the new parts perform.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very Nice. I purchased one last week, but because I'm in Maryland, I cant pick it up till next Tuesday. I'll be at the the range Tuesday evening with it - I can't wait.
This will be my 3rd 1911. I also have a Gov't model (WW1 original) and a Colt Defender, all in.45 ACP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats. I own the same pistol, although the price has gone up since you got yours.

I shot it today for the first time. No problems with any ammo (200 rounds from WWB to HP). Wicked awesome accuracy and mild recoil.

I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A new bushing should help out a bunch (like 4-5 inches). The bushing fit on this Loaded is worse than my GI was, which was replaced with the above mentioned EGW part. The bushing litterally wobbles on the end of the barrel. I swear I could throw it at the barrel from several feet away and have it installed on the barrel. And the bushing to slide fit is loose enough, that as I rotate the slide from side to side, the bushing rotates in the slide. That can add up to a lot of accuracy. The lighter mainspring may help a little, but I`m convinced that the bushing is the big ticket item here. I just got done ordering the parts from Midway. They should be here by next weekend. Too bad I`ll be gone all next weekend though, I`ll have to wait at least another week to see how the new parts perform.
I've had the same problem with my parkerized model. The bushing fit was really loose as was the frame/slide play. I also go a drop in EGW bushing and now the fit is pretty tight. I also clamped the slide a bit to to tighten up the slide/frame play. It's not match grade by any means but it is better.

The trigger is a disappointment. the fit was wobbly and there is some creep on the 5.5 pound pull. what I am planning on doing when I get cash is to put C&S pull kit and fit an Ed Brown trigger. Also removing the ILS with a standard MSH will improve the pull greatly. Right now I'm running a Brown 19Lbs mainspring to lighten the pull up a bit.

Also the plunger tube is starting to come loose... that might become a big problem soon because I can feel the thumb safety start to move back and forth with the tube.

and on top of that, the finish on the sights is starting to wear and I am having to touch them up with a sharpie every once in a while.

it is still a good gun but it is going to need an overhaul within the next couple months.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I quit smoking 6 weeks ago so where's my Springfield?:wink:

I'm looking at stainless 1911's for carry and it will probably be a Springfield. I hope yours is working out for you.
It`s been awhile since I`ve been around here or since I`ve been out shooting due to work (6 days 14-16 hrs). But I`ve at least strapped the Stainless Loaded on a few times when off work for long enough to go out at all. I marvel at the looks of it every time I pull it out of the safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.