1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Grand Raptor II (my first 1911). I was anxious to get some rounds down range, to say the least. However, on first firing, I had a (what I'm calling at least--still new to this) a failure to feed (FTF?). No ejection probs, just the slide half-racked back forward as though the round was caught on something (feed ramp?). I was shooting factory ammo (Winchester), hollow points. I've done some reading lately, and that may have been my problem. From what I understand these higher-end guns, with their closer tolerances, have a "break in" period, which I think I have read that it is suggested using "ball" or round nose ammo for this period. I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else experienced anything like this, is it normal, should I send it to Kimber, a gunsmith, or try ball ammo for a couple hundred rounds? I was just dismayed, after spending that kind of money, that I didn't even get a full magazine through it. Honestly, I put the thing down after jamming the first four shots (carefully manually feeding the round into the chamber after locking the slide back). I have a HK USP .45 and Sig p226, never have had any probs, but since this is my first 1911, I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.
Thanks,
Drew

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Drew,

Couple of things to try first before sending it back.
(1) - Break it in with ball ammo first.
(2) - Get a few good magazines such as Wilson Combat or CMC Power Mags.

Once broken in good, you may have to experiment with different HP's to see what your Grand Raptor likes better. For example, I have a Pro Carry that just hates Gold Dots while on the other hand, my Custom II loves them.

BTW, what part of MS? I would be glad to help if close by. We are in the Hattiesburg area.

Good luck :)
Zack
Shooters Plus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I live in Brookhaven, only a little over an hour from H'burg. I'm gonna be going over there sometime in March (I am at work now, I work on an oil tanker in the Gulf of Mexico). Got relatives that work at Johnson Controls somewhere around there. I'll have to try to get by there sometime. I'll try and put several boxes of ball ammo through it when I get home. What is the deal with the magazines? Are the Kimber's inferior? I've heard good things about the Wilson Combat ones, but didn't realize there was such a big difference. Being new to owning a 1911, I'm assuming that the magazines are interchangeable since the design is the same, just different pistol manufacturer?
Thanks,
Drew

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Hi Drew, welcome to the forum.

Don't give up on your GR just yet. I have one too, and us it for my main carry gun. I use Wilson mags in all of my 1911's. I am however, not a fan of Wilson springs - as they weaken fast in my range guns. I replace them with the Tripp Research spring/follower kit. I don't use any of the Kimber mags that came with my Kimbers, I hate the split metal follower in some of them. My GR did give me a problem when new and I had to send it back. I couldn't get the slide off of the frame - and yes - I know not to depress the grip safety while removing the slide. They fixed whatever was hanging up, and not it runs 100%. It ran 100% right out of the box as I shot 100 rounds out if it before sending it back to Kimber. Here's another note: When I first started carrying the GR the grips bled red stain onto my shirt. The grips were not sealed after staining. I called Kimber and complained - but they said "...that's the way the grips come from our supplier..." Great! I sealed them myself. Soon after I added some CT laser grips. Here's a look at my GR now. It's starting to show a little more holster wear than in this early picture, but it still looks good:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I used to do a lot of hunting around the Brookhaven / Bude area.

Drew, some people have good luck with the Kimber factory magazines but when I here of feeding problems the Kimber magazine is the 1st thing I suggest replacing. If you have a friend with a 1911, you could try some of his magazines to see if it helps.

Any single stack Government size 1911 magazine will fit your Grand Raptor. Nice gun btw. :)

Zack
Shooters Plus

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
shoot one hundred to 200 round and try a good mag like a wilson .. if it takes more than 200 send it back dont buy the bull from kimber about 500-1k rounds they are not that tight

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree, 200 rnd of Ball, then try different hollowpoints to see what it likes. My Kimber mag in my Classic Stainless LE has worked fine, but it is one of the first series manufactured and I believe they are better then the ones that came later. I use Wilson mags to rotate with.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Hey Sandhills, welcome to the forum! Glad to see ya.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kimber also has a rep for undersized chambers which will cause this type of malfunction. Other places to check are the breech face for burrs and the extractor for excessive tension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 2 stoppages with my grand raptor in the first mag but nothing since.Ive shot a bunch of remington umc and winchester white box fmj with good results.As far as hollow points golddots,golden sabres,and corbon with no problems,it liked the 185gr +p corbon best.I also use the wilson mags.As others have said keep shooting,it shouldnt take more than a couple hundred rounds to get it broke in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:flag: Yea Primer, saw your little blurb in one of the other forums, so had to come over and see what it is all about. I too, use a lot of Wilson mags. Some are over 15 years old, never noticed the weak spring problem. They do feel weaker when loading, but they still function and feed flawlessly. Glad to see you still like your GR II, I still have mine and shoot it quite a bit, but think it is to pretty to carry. Carry CDPs and stainless Wilsons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts