1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was mowing the lawn one day, {this is Arizona and lawns equal mowing and summer equals 120 degrees so the lawn ain't much} and the mower runs out of gas. off to the station i go and fill up the truck and the gas can. put about a quart in the mower, {had a gas leak and never got around to fixing it as a quart did the trick, usually, see lawn size above}. got about half the 25' X 25' lawn done and this stinkin' gopher starts taunting me from across the driveway. thinking the 300 win mag might be too much and the 22 not enough, i opt for the half gallon or so gas that is in the can. {"i love the smell of napalm in the morning" plays in my head}. after waiting for the little bugger, {or "bastid" in New England speak},with shovel in hand, i throw a match in the hole.
it took but a few seconds to realize the poor judgement and decision making skills the Arizona sun had imposed on my brain. the gopher runs out of the hole, on fire, just like a special effects team would have it do if this were a "Rat Rambo" hollywood block buster. i miss several attempts to hit him with the shovel {again, i am blaming the Az. sun}. in his frenzy, he seeks shelter in the nearest hole. that, my friends, is the grass chute of my lawn mower. you know, the one that leaks gas. I drop the shovel, and push the mower away from the house, by this time the mower is fully engulfed in flames. i put out the lawn mower, scoop up the chared remains of the gopher, drive to Home Depot and bought one gallon of "Round-up". i gave up on the gophers. should have been carrying my 1911 for a CCW {crawling critter weapon}

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I laughed my butt off. I wish I could have seen that, Mirando :biglaugh:

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
What a chain of events! Did you pick up the Round Up to get rid of the grass (so you don't have to mow anymore), or did you also get a new mower?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
After a few lines of this story, the memory of watching Jerry Clower on stage started appearing. I saw one his last performances, and the part where he grabs his mid-thigh and says, " get him, cause I can't back him down, and I sure ain't lettin him go" was ringing heavily in my mind while reading your post. I can also here him say BAROOOM!!!! when you dropped the match in the hole. Although it was a gopher, I can still hear ole Jerry saying "We gonna have a Rat Killin"

Man that would have been funny to see Mick

And I sure do miss ole Jerry Clower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a chain of events! Did you pick up the Round Up to get rid of the grass (so you don't have to mow anymore), or did you also get a new mower?
grass in the front is gone, never to come back. last year we put grass in the back {grand kids were getting too dirty}. for you non Az. people, grass does not just grow here with out a considerable amount of help with a considerable amount of water. 6" of rain per year does not get you much of a lawn. On the other hand, if I find a market for tumble weeds, I'll have it made. My acre and a quarter seems to grow them with no problem :hairpull:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.