1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it blasphemy to use a Gold cup National Match as a standard combat or range pistol? Set up to shoot any kind of ammo (grain wise). I guess it’s no different then using a Porsche as a car to pick up the kids and go shopping for groceries. Sorry of the ignorant question, I’ve read that these pistols were set up for competition, but I’ve heard that some have used them for both competition as well as daily carry. Where I would choose not to use it for a CCW gun (have other grunts for that task :bravo: ), I’d like to change the recoil spring for a heavier gauge. The way it is now, I was told that it was set up for 185 grain match ammo.

BTW-I love my gun.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I don't think it's blasphemy at all, maybe to purists. I think it's a fine gun to set up however you like and I would probably go so far as to put beveled (more carry friendly) sights on it so it would be more carry friendly. I like all of mine to be carry friendly even if some get carried very little at all. Never know when the mood may hit me.:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Two of my good friends shoot Gold Cups in competitions. One shoots the GCNM, the other GCTrophy. Both have some serious internal changes, but are dead reliable and very good shooters. They both swear by their guns.
It's your gun. Enjoy it.:shades:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The GCNM is a fine, fine gun. The only reason I wouldn't carry it (assuming all the safeties function properly) is that, Lord forbid, if you have to use it in a defense situation - the cops get it. I've heard that it is a long, difficult process to get back, if you can get it back at all.

I'm more inclined to carry a sub-$500 M&P or $250 Rossi snub for that reason. Both are perfectly reliable, but not the end of the world if they became an "exhibit." Just my .02

--jcd

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Mulerider I have heard that argument before .. But what is your life worth ??

I carry one of 3 Different Les Baers... IF i get into a shooting which i hope i never do and i survive and the gun works properly and saves my Hide .. If i never see it again to me its 1800$$ well spent ... and if i get into a shooting i'm sure the 1800$$ is the least of my worries... Just another thought ..

·
Registered
63 Posts
No argument from me. I won't carry any gun of any make and model at any price that is not 100% reliable. That said, my preference is to carry 100% reliable at the least reasonable cost. But, even more than the cost, is my "like" of the gun. To me, a little Rossi revolver is all but disposable. An M&P is a commodity. Even my Para LTC is run of the mill. On the other hand, my Kimber Gold Match is in the really permanent collection. A Gold Cup would fall in to this category as well.

Now, if you ever decide to make a Les Baer donation, let me know - I am the founder/director of the NW Arkansas Gun Shelter, a home for un-wanted, neglected, or abused firearms :)

--jcd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts