1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I`ve read somewhere about how to correct a clocking situation, but thought rather than look on one of the "other forums", I`d ask the question here. If I`ve posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move. Anyway, I finally had a chance to put another 120 rounds thru my nearly new fullsize GI today, and the casings are going mostly high and to the right at about a 3:30 to 4:00 position about 4-6 ft away. On occasion though, one will come down on me. I can`t recall the method for correcting this situation.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Is the Extractor Clocking ? Or do you need to tension it .. I would check tension first .. If it is out of tension and a factory Extractor buy a new one from wilson ed brown or cylinder and slide..

If it is clocking you need a oversized firing pin stop from EGW to fit it to the slide to keep the extractor from clocking ..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the Extractor Clocking ? Or do you need to tension it .. I would check tension first .. If it is out of tension and a factory Extractor buy a new one from wilson ed brown or cylinder and slide..

If it is clocking you need a oversized firing pin stop from EGW to fit it to the slide to keep the extractor from clocking ..
I think the extractor tension seems good. It firmly holds the case in place. I did notice when I pulled the firing pin stop out to clean the extractor and firing pin assembly (it was raining at my range today), the stop was quite a loose fit. When installed it doesn`t seem to move much, but I don`t know what is acceptable. Also, I didn`t see anything abnormal as far as wear marks on the extractor hook.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I doesn't sound to out of whack other than the few hitting you .. you could try the EGW FPS they run about 15$$

And then the time to fit it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the tips Bud...I may give that a try. Last night was the first time starting to tear into the gun and it was fun. I had the sear spring come out when the MSH was out when my rubber band broke. But eventually I was smiling...especially when I got it back together and it worked.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
the more ya work on them the easier they become ..

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Put the extractor in, and make sure its perfectly aligned with the channel where the hammer falls, then shoot it, and see if it clocks any at all. It probably is if the casings are falling like that. Not to mention, springer has been notorious for loose fitting FP stops. Get the EGW flat bottom oversize FP stop, and fit it. That should stop it. If you don't want to mess with trying adjust the radius, then get a Wilson bulletproof oversized FP stop.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Gottriplets,

I think the "radius" isn't necessary. IIRC, I read that the original JMB design used a flat bottom. However there are those that feel a slight bevel is needed. I've left mine (all 4) squared and flat and haven't seen any probs. I've got a combined 50K+ rds total thru all my guns with the EGW flat bottom firing pin stop. When I put mine in, I didn't know about the radius. It wasn't til yrs later that I heard about it.

If you feel the need, all you do is "break" the bottom edge, a radius isn't needed. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
well, ya thats what I meant. Its not a radius, just a break of the corner. About 1/8th of an inch is what Tuner showed me.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I don't bother with a radius either i run flat bottom stop .. there is a post here about my testing them JMB did design it was a very small radius OD can tell ya what it was but i dont remember but it was very shallow

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
IIRC, just enough to break the sharp edge. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Original FPS radius

(Charles Clawson photograph)

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts