1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made it back to the range today,yee-haw! It was 25* and a little breezy,but I am pleased to report that my Savage 10FP put Georgia Arms 168 gr. BTHP into -1" groups at 100 yards more than a few times. :biggrin: That is noticeably better than their 150 gr. FMJ,which was ok but not great (average +/- 2" @ 100 yards). But if I had a .308 battle rifle I'd definitely load up on the FMJ.

I wasn't sure how good they'd be,but I am impressed.

I wish I brought my camera,I was the only guy there at first, and the snow was beautiful. Deer tracks everywhere too!

:flag:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Your'e Nuts way to cold .. Glad the shooting was more to your liking

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think it was too bad outside. I bundled up but I don't like to shoot with gloves on (cheap jersey gloves = no grip) so only my hands got cold.

Here's eight rounds of the FMJ,not a spectacular grouping as you can see,with one low flyer...

...And my last four-shot group of match ammo.
1.1" with a hot barrel and cold hands. :biglaugh: I actually got better groups,but I kept putting stickers over them so I can recycle my Shoot-N-See targets:

Not too bad,eh? And here's the rifle I did it with,a Savage 10FP with a stock from a BVSS. Way better than the stock that came with it.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update!

Shot the same ammo from the same rifle today. A friend and I got the same results as before...at 100 yards, FMJ held about 2" and Match 168 grain was hovering at an inch or better.

If I was going to shoot at competitions or past 100 yards I'd definitely spend a little extra on the match-grade ammo. The FMJ is probably "good enough" but I like to get the most out of my firearms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts