1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Fusion vs Nighthawk

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob Potter 
#1 · (Edited)
I plan to get a 9mm 1911 in early 2009. A Talon 1 in 9mm is around $2500-$2600 depending on where I buy it from. If I hard chromed it - its approx another $350. So, almost $3k. If I got a bobtailed Talon 2 in 9mm, hardchromed - it's OVER $3k.

Now, I priced out a bobtailed 9mm Fusion, hard chromed with rear and top slide serrations. Around $2k.

I'm faced with a decision. On the 1 hand - I'd have a gun EXACTLY like I want vs a Nighthawk that I probably can't add every feature I want - as $3k for a 9mm handgun is just obscene. When I have it in my hand, I don't see that I will shoot it any better than my P99 A/S (my current fav handgun of ALL time - and my most accurate handgun for me - I shot a perfect score on my last CHL renewal with it, and I never could do that with prev 1911s...).

Anyway - I have never held a Fusion - just seen pics. The pics look nice - but I did see one longslide Fusion 1911 with a magwell - and there was NO blending. I think that gun was around $1400-$1500, if I remember right. Wasn't too impressed with that.

Now, I wouldn't have a magwell with a bobtail - but I just wonder if the quality compared to NH. I don't want to spend $2k and then later regret it...

If this were $1200 or so - I'd just take the chance. But $2k? This will be my ONLY custom 1911.

At this point - it appears to me that the quality may be comparable to a Springer TRP. But, maybe not equal to Nighthawk's finishing details? What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I know if you look at the master dealers for Nighthawk you will find the prices lower than ordering it from Nighthawk (I got mine for almost $300 less). I have a GRP II Bobtailed and I love it, however I do not have a Fusion to compare the two. I got my Nighthawk before I knew about Fusion, might have been different if I had found the Fusion before I ordered my Nighthawk. I have had mine since Dec of last year and the only issues so far have been with my reloads, and that is due to me not having a Factory crimp die. All the factory ammo I have shoot has feed with 100% relibality. I don't see you going wrong with either. Its going to come down to which one do you want more.

#3 ·
I own a Fusion 10mm long slide. I find it to be an excellant choice. The bang for the buck is much greater with a Fusion. My gun is finished nicely and it shoots super. Most likely the best shooter I have even though I have a Kimber that would give it a run for it's money. All said Fusion is a very good value and I believe most Fusion owners would agree with me, MK

#4 ·
Shipwreck,

I realize that you said that you were not planning on getting a magwell, but you used it as an example of how a Fusion may not be finished as well as a Nighthawk. I am pretty confident that Bob and Crew at Fusion would be able to do just about anything you wanted to your gun including a blended magwell as long as you are willing to pay. You can also specify non Fusion parts like at Nighthawk. They will do all sorts of custom work including different kinds of serrations, stippling, etc. on frontstraps, slides etc. I would be willing to bet that you could get a Fusion configured exactly how you want it (meaning all the options, plus finished flawlessly), for less than the Nighthawk. I have a Fusion on order that I am having built to my specifications with all of the parts, and options that I wanted, and it is coming in at around $1000 less than a very similar gun from one of the more well known semi custom shops.

All of that being said, I would absolutely love to have a Nighthawk if I could afford one. Hell, I can't even afford the Fusion that I have being built :wink:.

#5 ·
Shipwreck, I cannot compare fusion to nighthawk as I have never owned a nighthawk but I have a bobtail commander from fusion and If I had it to do over I would still get it. The fit and finish is outstanding, you can see by the slide stop and thumb safety it has the edges smoothed out for carry. You tell bob what you want and he will do it, he does great work.

http://1911auto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1540

#8 ·
Rpotter, if you are interested I can make you rep of this forum since you are a nighthawk person. That's only if you interested. Either way thank you for posting.

#12 · (Edited)
Food for thought--- Just because that longslide had a magwell doesn't mean it was factory installed at Fusion. My SA Longslide has one on it and I switch back and forth between the longslide and my Colt Gunsite. Not a perfect fit on either, but works just as well on either too.

Fusion all the way. Save $$$$ & and as Burger King says---"Have your way" Tracy

P.S.---I have yet to see any complaints listed on ANY forum yet concerning any Fusions. Can't say that about any other gun on these forums.

Bob & Dale take care of their customers. I was going to customize my LTW Comm, but am pretty sure I'll do a Fusion next year instead with custom touches of Damascus steel slide and parts.

#14 ·
Wanted a Damascus slide/parts gun built since I saw my first Damascus gun about 6 yrs ago. But I'm closer to reality/actuality now than I used to be. Tracy

#15 ·
Nope, wait, put the damascus gun on hold---- wife talking about wanting a Harley for gas savings and some fun :wink:. (Haven't had a bike in 15-16 yrs) Need to build a shed (bigger than the one I reload in) & some exterior home repairs.

New gun---New Harley:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner----New Harley. Tracy

#20 ·
Thank you for the opportunity to join in. I will respond to any post at my first opportunity. I am on the road 3 days a week but I expect to respond between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Just to help usmcmp, we do offer a 10% discount for LE to Military. Give me a call and I can discuss the details with you. We have a lot of new product that is being developed, stay tuned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.