1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Fusion Tactical Commander Bobtail 45ACP Build

23K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  MUDSUX 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now and finally decided to post. I just wanted to share my personal experience in building a Fusion 1911 kit in case anyone is interested.

Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith. I am an amatuer builder with very limited experience, mostly from restoring old cars and motorcycles. I am not affiliated with Fusion Firearms in anyway and have never owned one from them. This will be my first Fusion. I will try my best to document my experience during this build and will give honest details--good or bad. Please do not use this as instructions to build yours or as a replacement for proper gunsmith expertise. I have already asked Mr. Serva for his expressed permission to do this and he promises to chime in from time to time to help me along with my build. This will be a long learning process so bear with me. I will post as much as I can, as work or time permits. This is meant to be fun so come watch and laugh as I attempt to put together (hopefully not mess up) this highly customize piece of art. :biglaugh:

MUDSUX

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us Freedom of Press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us Freedom of Speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the Freedom to Demonstrate.
It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag
that allows the protester to burn the flag.

By Father Dennis O'Brien
Chaplain, USN

See less See more
#2 ·
With one of Bobs kits your project will be just fine. They are by far the best builders kit out there. I have made a few other 1911's from other manufacturers parts and just stuff I had laying around and will never do that again. Fusion parts just seem to melt together due to the way Bob has them finished and just the quality of the parts. Fusion will all ways be in my future builds. Good luck, Mirando

#3 ·
Great Mudsux! This will be very interesting. We'll all be here to laugh at, er, I mean support you in your efforts! :biggrin: Just joking, you're a braver man than I if you are attempting this. I have no choice but to leave it to the professionals. I'm totally inept at such things.
Good luck! I'll be following along as you go.
Sarge

#5 · (Edited)
Build list

Ok, now that I got the disclaimer out of the way let's get started. I have very limited experience with guns, I only own three. My first is a Walther P22, then a Sig 229R, and my latest, a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. The ambi safety on my Kimber broke before I even had a chance to shoot it. Did some research and found out about this wonderful process called MIM. I know there are thousands of guns out there with MIM parts that have no problems. I just have a bad taste in my mouth and do not want to trust my life or my family to it.

I was originally looking at the Dan Wesson Bobtail as my next carry piece and came across Bob Serva and Fusion. I won't bore you guys with the details but after a few emails, this is what Bob and I came up with. I left out all pricing because I do not want to interfere with Bob's sales/pricing fluctuations. I did include the SKU and links along with Bob's response (in red and parenthesis) to each question I had when I was putting the build list together.

1)Tactical commander kit in 45 acp Stainless. (YES , This is all Correct)

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/images/kits/comm_kit.jpg

I am assuming this is the "easy fit" kit? I need this kit because I do not have any machinery to fit the slide,frame, or barrel.

-FORGED carbon steel 1911 Commander Size 1911 Kit (but with tactical rail).
-frames are our Extremely High Quality Pro-Series combat 1911 frame with front-strap checkering(30LPI)
-undercut trigger guard.-The rear of the frame is already cut for a .25 radius to accept a high-ride beavertail grip safety.
-The magwell is also beveled.
-The slide is a standard Commander length FORGED Carbon steel with rear cocking serrations
-Lowered and relieved ejection port
-serrated target top
-Novak sight cuts.
-Both with all machining and heat treatments complete.
-Kit comes with fitted slide and frame. 416 match grade barrel in 45 acp with link and pin, Recoil spring kit, Barrel bushing and slide stop.

2)Bobtail ($__), includes machining, blending and EB bobtail (YES, Correct)

-- will the machining ruin the finish on the frame? Will I have to re-finish the bobtail to match the rest of the frame? ( No, We finish it again for you)

-- I couldn't find an EB bobtail on your site. Is this the MSH? If it is, can I get the serrated one in stainless? ( They are the EB Bobtail, They are stainless and, either smooth or 1/2/ Checkered)

(The other parts you get 15% to 35% off depending on part, you have to look over our site and let me know what you would like.The small parts you will need to get started will be: ). These are the parts I picked along with links if anyone is interested.

1) Beavertail Grip Safety SKU 21-a

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-118/Grip-Safety,-Hi-dsh-ride-Beavertail,/Detail

2) Trigger group, (Look on our sight for hammer and trigger styles you would like. )

--Hammer, 1911 Hi-Force, Match Grade SKU: HM-ST-HF (will be in your trigger kit)

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-281/Hammer,-1911-Hi-dsh-Force,-Match/Detail

--Trigger - Match Grade Adj. K Silver SKU: 13-K (Will be in your trigger kit)

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-218/Trigger--dsh--Match-Grade/Detail

3) Mainspring Housing Kit -Please see above, is this the same as the EB Bobtail? ( You do not need this, You get all of this with the bobtail)

4) Pin Kit

5) Firing pin kit (SS Plate, will be in your kit)

--I assume this includes the firing pin stop plate? I would prefer the stainless steel finish.

--Stop Plate, firing pin 45 Stainless Steel SKU: SP-SS-45

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-411/Stop-Plate,-firing-pin/Detail

6) Sights - (Look at our website for sight styles and let me know what you would like...)

--will this come pre-installed and trued? I do not have the proper tools. (Installation is $__)

--Fixed Novak Style Combat Sight,Trijicon Night Sight SKU: RSN-2

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-41/Fixed-Novak-Style-Combat/Detail

7) magazines--I already have

8) Thumb safety--I prefer one side only, no ambi. (OK)

--Thumb Safety EXTENDED Stainless - Tactical Pro-Series SKU: PS-ETS-S

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-227/Thumb-Safety-EXTENDED-/Detail

9) Grips... (Look over website)

-- I like these but for a bobtail

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/servarw/Tcomm-3.jpg

10) Mag release kit (yes Stainless)

Just a few other questions: Is the barrel ramped or need to be? (NO, Not needed.)

I would like it flushed with the bushing. (yes, we will do that)

Will the frame come pre-threaded for the grip screw kit or will I have to thread it myself? (We thread them for you)

Do I need the following parts to complete my pistol? And do I have to install the extractor, ejector and plunger tube or will it come pre-installed?

(SS Plunger tube Installed $__, SS Ejector installed $__)

(All Of the below you install and we can do the ejector for you.)

Extractor SKU: EXTR-SS-45

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-409/Extractor,-1911-45acp-Stainless/Detail

Ejector SKU 17-a

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-105/Ejector,-45-Extended/Detail

Plunger tube kit SS SKU 16-a

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-103/Plunger-Tube-Kit,-Stainless/Detail

Grip screw Kit SKU: GS-TORX-SS

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-261/Grip-screw-Kit,-TROX/Detail

(Other than Standard hand tools, you will not need any thing special if you have us install the pluger tube, Ejector and Sights. Let me know if you have more questions or would like to get this going.Thank you, Bob Fusion)

MUDSUX

#6 · (Edited)
Wow that came out a lot longer than I expected, sorry :redface:

MUDSUX

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us Freedom of Press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us Freedom of Speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the Freedom to Demonstrate.
It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag
that allows the protester to burn the flag.

By Father Dennis O'Brien
Chaplain, USN

#7 · (Edited)
Ok so I talked to Bob yesterday to finalize the details and placed my order. Instead of just taking down my order, he gave me some suggestions and options. I originally just wanted night sights and he suggested I get different colored ones for defensive purposes. He gave me the option of getting the front one in green and the two rear ones in orange. I never thought of that. He also said he will pre-grind the ejector for me and will include a "stainless" one as he knows I do not want any black accents except for the sights. As far as I knew his website only has the black ejector. Kudos to him.

#8 ·
Hey Sarge,

Inept? Really? Don't you make those fabulous grips I keep seeing?

#9 · (Edited)
OK, so after placing my order, more lurking makes me think about other possible options like:

The slide stop on my Kimber sticks out really far and my trigger finger always hits it when I draw. I like the flush feel like on my Sig so wanted to make my my Fusion flush also. The countersinking will surely collect dust but will make tearing down easier... I think/hope? :tongue:

So I emailed Bob and asked if the following would be possible? He patiently replies:

"If it is an inverse 11 deg crown, these are no good for a 1911.
On the counter sinks, yes we will do the frame for you.

Yep, That is a 11 deg crown, No good, it leaves a very fragile edge at the bushing juncture. If you get any dings on the edge of the barrel your accuracy goes out real bad and will not be consistent."

Good to know, thanks Bob. Hate for the barrel to be the reason why I miss the bullseye. :biglaugh:

#11 · (Edited)
I hope so Donkey77, only time will tell. Now I am just waiting for Bob to send me the parts. He said he would post some pics of the build from their side as they fit some of the parts for me. Can't wait to see it.

#12 ·
Alright! Just got an email from Bob this am. They fitted the slide/frame and will shipping the kit out in a few days. Right on time as promised. Will post some pics as soon as I get them.

#14 ·
In the Raw – Here are some pictures of the start of this very nice project. We still need to do the barrel fitting and the finishing work. She is coming together nicely.

We have Fitted the frame and slide, added some extra Tactical rail accessory cuts and Sweep cut the end of the tactical frame dust cover to match the dust cover on the slide.
Barrel fitting to come.

Stay tuned, this will be a very nice and exciting project!!
:smile::smile::smile:

#15 · (Edited)
Ooohhh...extra tactical rail accessory cuts. An unexpected surprise, thanks for the extra detail Bob and Dale. You guys rock!

#17 · (Edited)
Hi Bob,

Just curious, what do you mean by:

"Sweep cut the end of the tactical frame dust cover to match the dust cover on the slide"

Is it the same as the longitudinal cut (parallel to the rail) along the top of the frame like in these pictures? Will mine come with this cut? I hope so because this is the exact gun I was planning my build on. Thanks!

#19 ·
Bob you're such a teaser! Strategically hiding the Bobtail! You're killin me, I've been dying to see how my pistol is coming together.

#20 ·
Suweet! Just got an email from Bob, my kit is in the mail. Should be here in a few days. Will post pics as soon as I get it.

#21 · (Edited)
OK so in preparation of building this kit, I have been watching this video. I'm sure everyone has seen it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/videos/?action=view&current=ReassemblyAnimationHR.flv

I do not know how much fitting is done by Fusion so I am not really quite sure where I should start. Grip safety? Trigger? Any suggestions?

Figure I should read through this a few times:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=505

Wonder if Bob included an instruction manual?

#22 · (Edited)
Alright! Just picked up my kit about 2 hours ago. Even with the holidays, shipping is really quick. First impression--Wow. Very nice. The Bobtail is perfect. Bob already installed the ejector, extractor, plunger tube, firing pin, and firing pin plate. Only a few things I noticed:

1. I'm missing the Beavertail grip safety?
2. I have all green nightsights opposed to the green in front and the orange in the rear that Bob suggested.

I have emailed Bob, I'm sure he will fix this.

#23 · (Edited)
Ok now for some pics. Sorry about the lighting, my flash sucks. Notice the grips are uncut. I asked Bob to leave them uncut, I will try the blend them myself. I may end up using the Davidson Horned Lizards. I really like those on a satin and bead-blasted finish.

#24 · (Edited)
So after further looking I noticed these few things. First let me say that this will not be a vault queen. I plan to use and carry this so some of the few "surface" dings I post is just to show you guys. As long as it does not affect the reliability of the pistol, I really don't care. I actually prefer a well-handled, broken-in pistol. I just like that look better. So here are some "surface" things I noticed. I posted these pics just to get your opinion. If you guys think this will affect the safety and reliability of the pistol, please let me know.

Here you can see 2 dings on the slide, one one the edge and the other on the flat side. No biggy to me, all I know I may have done that. You can also see where Bob countersunk the slide stop hole for me. Thanks Bob

#25 · (Edited)
Now inside the frame, I'm guessing this is from polishing the feed ramp? I just hope this does not affect the magazine sliding in and out.

Edit: after looking more carefully, I see the same marks at the bottom of the magazine slot. It's very light. So this is most likely from the frame machining/forging process and not from Bob and Fusion polishing the feed ramp. The frame most likely came that way. I can always polish it out. This is a builder's kit and not a finished product from Fusion.

#26 · (Edited)
And this is where I am a little bit concerned. The disconnector surface is chipped. Again very superficial, the flash made it look worse. Do you guys think this will be a reliability issue? Somehow I doubt it but I am not an expert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.