1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of making the Fusion Scout in a 6 inch long slide as a standard product. So again we come to our loyal customers to ask you your thoughts?
Shown here is one of our Scouts that we were playing around with and it is a real sharp piece. This one is in 45 acp with polished sides on the slide.
Let us know your feelings..
Thanks again for all your help and support,
:smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
331 Posts
It looks nice, but to me anything over 5 inches just looks a little off.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Looks great Bob. You know I love mine in 10MM, Mirando

·
Registered
128 Posts
Near perfect as she sits. I would like it to be a regular product just so I can get one when I have the funds. Carbon Fiber trigger and Novak night sites for me please :wink:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bob,
It looks good. I say go for it! I would be willing to bet that you end up making more 6" 1911s than any other outfit out there. Is there any chance at getting front slide serrations on a 6"?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why not!

I am with the crowd that doesn't see a lot of point in a longslide, either from the competition side or personal defense side. That said, it is a nitch market that very few companies attempt to fill and lord knows there are plenty of us 1911 bigots out there that like things that are "different". My opinion is why not. Fill the nitch market that most ofther companies are ignoring and stay true to the capitalist ideals. :flag:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I for one like Longslide pistols and I think that it looks fantastic Bob!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
longslides rock!

If you have never shot a lonslide you may not know what you are missing. My buddies Fusion Longslide in 10mm is stunning to say the least.
I shoot it every offer I get. What I can do with my commander at 10 yards, I can easily do with a longslide at 20. After Bob and friends finish my new bobtailed commander, I will get in line for one of these babies!

I think Bob and friends have filled a very nice gap in the 1911 market. :notworthy:

Thanks for understanding your audience and producing SWEET pistols! :flag:

·
Registered
135 Posts
The long slide needs to be S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D a LITTLE more!

Dearest Bob: Scott Bradfield here. Do you remember me? (Hint: You personally fitted the trigger to DW Razorback #0084 that Shelley bought me!)

So that I don't hijack this thread, IMHO, you need to produce a 7" Longslide/barrel version (e.g. the IAI Javalina.) This model coupled with a ramped, fully supported barrel would be the answer to many an autopistol hunter's prayers.

This is what is needed to mke this the hottest selling 1911 Hunting Model on the market:

a) You must purchase a "lot" of 7" match-level, fully-supported barrel/bushings specifically engineered for this purpose.

b) You must buy a "lot" of "progressive" 20-lb recoil springs for these Hunting Models.

c) You need to install a 15% heavier mainspring than in your 5" barreled models.

b) In each of these pisols, you MUST install a flat-bottomed, EGW-brand, stainless steel firing pin retainer.

c Last, but not least, be sure to install an extra-power firing pin spring.

In concert, these balanced parts will make this Hunting Pistol accurate, durable, and, wihout a doubt, the most advanced 10mm hunting pistol on the face of the earth.

The 1991 IAI "Javalina" had to 'meet it's match.' A pistol, engineered in this manner, will handle the most powerful custom-tailored 10mm ammunition without even breathing hard! Within 100 yards, a properly-placed bullet will render virtually ANY deer "deader than canned tuna!"

Take my word for it. There are a great many shooters, including Ted Nugent and Bart Skelton, that would pay a "kings ransom" to have a Fusion Arms pistol such as this. Fusion Arms can manufacture these and sell them for no more than $1800.00 per unit, thus ruling the 10mm Auto Pistol hunting market.

A readily available 200-grain Double Tap hunting load should generate 1280 fps and 727.78 ft/lbs of energy from this pistol. If this isn't sufficient, you need to move up to either the .41 Remington Magnum, or the .44 Remington Magnum revolver cartridges. Frankly, I don't believe that this is really necessary!

Think about it!

Scott

·
Registered
239 Posts
A 7" would be amasing for hunting, as well. I would also pay good, cold, hard cash to have one of these. :)

I will say, Gunfan, that the DT 200gr XTP would probably get closer to 1400 FPS rather than 1280. I get about 1280 from a 5" Razorback. 200 x 1400 x 1400 / 450400 = 870 ft / lbs of energy.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The long slides do handle recoil somewhat better and the sighting plane is longer helping with your accuracy. With Pistols like the 10mm, the deer will not really care if the 6 inch is giving you a few more FPS. It will still be dead regardless as long as you do your job in the sighting. The real advantaged is the sighting plane and control.
Thanks for the good question,
:smile::smile::smile::smile:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Make It!

Only thing I would add or change is for guys like me that don't shoot "black" sights that well, add an option for a Hi-Viz rear sight also.

Only complaint I have with my SA Longslide. I added a Hi-Viz on the front (like yours) but the back is still a prob at times. Tracy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bob: If you'll make the 7" slide to match the 7" barrels (that you carry on your website) Bart Skelton would be the first celebrity spokesperson to endorse the gun! (He still bemoans the loss of his IAI Javalina.)

The REAL advantage of the 7" barrel/slide combination, is the "taming" of the slide velocity. The sighting plane is wonderful, and the recoil is automatically mitigated by the slide's additional weight.

In July of 1991, John Taffin (in American Handgunner magazine) writes, "The 10mm Auto is a "quick" cartridge, achieving it's peak pressure within 8 inches of barrel length." You should take full advantage of the Maximum Average Pressure of the 10mm Auto (37,500 p.s.i.) and generate as much energy behind the heavier bullets (200-grain soft points, FMJ, or JHP for "close in work.") These loads cry out for the 7" barrel/slide combo to "milk" the efficacity of this marvelous round!

Come on, Bob! "If you build it, they will come!"

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now that I have just went and looked at Fusions offerings, I see that they DO offer them with rails. In fact I see almost exactly what I envision as my perfect woods gun in the longside hunters with rails and fiber optic front sight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.