1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in finding out what types of finishes are recommended by Fusion. I have read a lot about different types of finishes from IonBond to NP3 to Rogard and was wondering what Bob and Dale's experience has been with the finishes and with the customer service from the providing companies. How will each type of finish affect the fit of the final Fusion product. I'm just looking for opinions before I make my order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem with finishing the back-end. Is it more expensive to strip and reapply the same finish? Can it even be stripped without scaring layers of the metal away? I choose finishes that can easily be stripped and reapplied with issue – bluing is such an example.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gunnie,
I've thought about that also, but from what I've read (no personal experience) on a few boards from folks who shoot practical competitions and draw from kydex holsters thousands of times that the IonBond holds up extremely well. My P220R & P226R both have a very similar finish that is VERY abrasion resistant. I made small, but forceful scratches on the slides and they just wipe off with my finger. Since I'm going to be going the CCW route and carrying in leather (a MacDaniel II from http://www.andrewsleather.com) I don't think that the abrasion from the smooth side of leather will have any major effect other than partially drawing some of the lube/oil off until it stains the leather.
If anyone has a differing opinion please express it. I'm very interested in seeing / reading about this new finish also.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
We have worked with a lot of coating over the years and some work and some are not worth your time. All of the finishes will eventually wear and do scratch at times. The finishes that hold up quite well are:
1) Ion Bond
2) Robar NP3
3) Yukon Coat

They all have good points and you know…..
The Ion Bond is a great coating and holds up better than anything on the market that I have seen, BUT it is very costly. Also, I have seen guns that in a year or 2 do show signs of wear and scratches. Not excessively bad, but it does not last forever, but what does? Colors are also limited.

The Robar NP3 is a very nice coating, which holds up very well also but only comes in the silver grey color. Wear resistance is very good, similar to the Ion Bond and Cost is a bit better than the Ion Bond.

The Fusion Yukon Coat is about ½ the cost of Ion Bond and offers more Colors like Mil Tan, Grey, Green and Black. The colors many like to work with on there pistols to jazz them up. The Wear resistance is very good, not as good as the Ion bond but 80% of the way there. Impact resistance from chipping and the like is just as good as any and the Color combo’s are real fun to work with and make some very unique pieces.
So I like our Yukon coat the best just due to the color flexibility and overall performance vs. Cost.

Let me know if you have any further questions,
Thanks again,
Bob

:smile::smile::smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.