1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Full length rail 870 - Should I build it?

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  usmcmp 
#1 ·
I have on the way a stripped 870 receiver, trigger group, and assorted parts. I do not have a barrel or stock, and am trying to decide what to do with it.

I really like the look of this weapon, although my sanity questions the need for a full length rail on a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun)

Anybody know where to get 14 inch barrels with removable chokes? It would only take 5 minutes to get the BATFE forms ready...

:flag:

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, I built something very similar to this.

I am waiting on the BATFE to get me my stamp (for this shotgun and another one) before I buy the shortened barrels.

I will put up some pics when I get my stamps and then the barrels get ordered...

#6 ·
Mine will be quite different.

I was unable to get a full length rail (that was less expensive than the shotgun itself) so I used a short rail. The rail had room for a pair of Troy flip-ups and an EOTech 533. I put a scattergun technologies 1 shot extender (to make the magazine the same length as the barrel, 14 inches) plus a ton of other really cool things. I will put up pics as soon as I get my stamps from the BATFE. I have not even ordered the barrels yet (building a 12 inch 870 too), so that will take a few weeks too...

Plus, I gots me a Fusion Commander to build!!!

#7 ·
Sweet jumpin' hossenfefer!!!!

My Form 1's from the BATFE have been approved at last!!!!

I will soon have pics up of my 14 inch 870, and a sweet 12 inch pistol gripped 870 too!!!

Now, I need to go buy those barrels...

#9 ·
My initial forms went in at the end of February. I still don't have the forms, but I called this morning and the VERY nice and helpful young lady on the phone was able to confirm instantly by firearm serial number that both had been approved and were on the way.

I am now going to engrave the receivers per NFA dogma, and place my orders for the barrels as soon as I get the stamps in hand.

I would recommend to anyone wishing to do something like this to absolutely, positively WAIT until you have the NFA stamps from the BATFE IN HAND to order/buy/get your barrels.

I do not know the repercussions of being caught with a Short Barreled Shotgun that you do not have the paperwork for, but I'm sure that even if the stamps were on the way things might get dicey.

And expensive to defend. Better to be safe than sorry.

The rules were made to be followed!:flag:

#11 ·
Alright~!!!

I got the forms today!!!!!

BATFE is very good on turnarounds IMHO.:1010: Especially considering I had deficiencies on my original submissions I had to correct :nuts:

I have performed the proper engraving (per the current NFA handbook) and my barrels will be here by overnight delivery tomorrow.

Since I totally screwed up on one of the receivers with my crappy technique :eek:ops, I had to re-do the engraving on the other side. It is ok thought, since none of my actions affected the original markings (serial number, etc...) I will try to repair the marred area.

My plan was to paint these weapons, so we'll see how it turns out. As long as the engraving still meets the NFA Handbook spec (1/16" high .003" deep minimums) after the coating is applied, I'm golden.

I'll post pics as soon as I can. I should have the barrels by 10:30 tomorrow.

12" and 14" 12 gauges with full chokes (adjustable) :rofl:

Don't you just LOVE it!!!!!:flag:

#13 ·
I have to get home from work, test fit, yadda, yadda, yadda....

It will be a few days

I only want to have to put them together once.

Well, once or twice or so.

Well, you know...

#14 · (Edited)
Engraving per the NFA handbook is completed

Here is a shot - can't read the engraving but I don't want you too:shades:

Here is a shot of the barrels, I put my trusty red sharpie in there for size comparison. Each of those has a removable choke. Right now, they are both set to full.:dancingbananna:

It is far too humid to paint today. I may test-fit everything again and snap some pics. I am fully legal with my stamps and engravings, but I really want to get this done with the paint before I do the final build. NO choice, though, on the humidity factor.:nonono: Bad for the paint. Bad for the finish. (At least it would be on a guitar.)

I'll be back with more later...

#15 ·
12" SBS with light, laser

Have to have a laser, right?

I need to wait a bit on the other one, perhaps till later tonight...

:flag:

#18 ·
The 14 incher with rail and recoil-reducing stock

OK - here is the basic prototype, minus paint.

Sweet, eh?

NOW I am ready for some zombies...

#22 ·
The pistol grip version is for 2 3/4" only. It will take 3" magnums, but I can get one more round in there if I use the shorter, calmer version. Plus, I don't want to knock my teeth out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.