1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the scoop. 5" kimber eclipse target II, completely stock except for a recoil buffer installed. The gun has about ~500 flawless rounds through it, almost all WWB. Last time I took it to the range I had a ftf on the last round with 2 wilson, 1 kimber and 1 chip mccormick mag. The gun was clean (clean = spotless, I'm anal about cleaning it). The last round would ride up the feed ramp and get lodged half way into the chamber at a sharp angle. I checked oal of the rounds and they were consistant with other boxes of WWB that I had.

I brought the gun home, cleaned it and took apart the mags for the first time. They were pretty clean, the Wilson mags were almost new and had been shot maybe 4 times before.

I'm going to take the clean gun and mags to the range again and see if I still have the problem. If I do, what should I start with? I'm looking for troubleshooting things I can do while I'm at the range.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
what is the angle is it a 3 point jam? it could be a couple things mags are the first ..Also remove the shock buff then try

are you sure you are not riding the slide with a thumb i doubt this .

it could be a ill fitted barrel and at worst a wrong angle on the feed ramp on the frame ..

need some pics they help a lot

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I always say to take the buffer out .. do i use them sure on range guns in a carry gun never .. As Vic said they cause more problems in some guns than they are worth

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
The first thing I would have checked is the magazines/magazine springs but since you said it did it on the last round with 2 wilson, 1 kimber and 1 chip mccormick mag then I'm gonna agree with the others and say pull the buffer and try that first.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Zack Phillips

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them up here. It is a range gun, I never carry it. The odd thing with the situation is that I never had a problem through the 500 or so rounds I put through it then all of the sudden I started having problems without changing anything or letting it get dirty.

What is a "3 point jam"? If it's when the lip of the casing gets caught on the top edge of the chamber then yes, that's what was happening.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
its when the round wedges into the barrel slide and mag all at once .. usually a Mag cause a 3 point jam but not always .. still pull the buffer and shoot it again since you have other mags to try and it was still doing it .. i have 1 gun that will not run with a buffer at all

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
What is a "3 point jam"? If it's when the lip of the casing gets caught on the top edge of the chamber then yes, that's what was happening.
3-Point jam is simply when the round is binding between the breechface, barrel throat and the underside of the chamber.

As mentioned, pics would help a lot.

Zack Phillips

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Or Call it a Bolt over Base Feed if you like .. i prefer 3 Point Jam .. Meaning your Fubar'ed in a gun fight

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, hi y'all, first post (here).

The last round would ride up the feed ramp and get lodged half way into the chamber at a sharp angle. I checked oal of the rounds and they were consistant with other boxes of WWB that I had.
I have a Kimber Tactical II that did that for the first time around rd 300, only on the 1st or last round. after 1500 rounds, it would do it 3-5 times in a 100 rounds. When it first started, I could smack the back of the slide and it would ride it in (Forward assist on a 1911??). Eventually, it got to where that didn't work anymore.

I sent mine into Kimber. They polished the chamber and feed ramp, and told me not to use McCormick mags (Actually, they didn't give me back my Kimber mag that I sent with the gun.) But they did replace my whole slide so kudos to them.

I'd say wait and see if it persists.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
First off, hi y'all, first post (here).

I have a Kimber Tactical II that did that for the first time around rd 300, only on the 1st or last round. after 1500 rounds, it would do it 3-5 times in a 100 rounds. When it first started, I could smack the back of the slide and it would ride it in (Forward assist on a 1911??). Eventually, it got to where that didn't work anymore.

I sent mine into Kimber. They polished the chamber and feed ramp, and told me not to use McCormick mags (Actually, they didn't give me back my Kimber mag that I sent with the gun.) But they did replace my whole slide so kudos to them.

I'd say wait and see if it persists.
Was yours a external extractor model?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
That explains a lot and i suppose we should as the OP is this a External Extractor Model?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for the late follow up.

I went back to the range. Had the same problem with clean mags so I removed the recoil buffer. Problem solved. Weird how it didn't start until after a lot of rounds through the gun. Maybe the spring started to weaken or something.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. I'm glad it's functioning 100% again.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Glad to hear it. You may be right about the spring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.