1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to checker the front strap on at least one of my guns.

not sure which LPI file to buy cause I haven't handled enough guns w/front strap checkering.

I'm just ASSuming the 20lpi would be the "grippiest" of the lot.
But i don't want something so "grippy" that my fingers will be raw after a couple/three hundred round session

any guidance, thoughts, and opinions welcome

Thanks

..l.T.A.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I prefer 30LPI, less than chews my hands up in shoot for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I like 25 lpi, to me 20 is like a cheese grater and 30 not enough. It's personal preference though and not everyone is the same as evidenced by od and myself. If you can go to a shop and feel them for yourself that would be best.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never paid much attention when browsing guns.
what production guns have FS checkering?

I'll check them out next time I'm window shopping

if anyone knows what lpi which models use would help too.
(I can take shoes off to count to 20, but will be in trubble after that):biggrin:

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Springfield trp's have 20, dan wesson cbob's have 25 (a couple years ago they used 20). I think wilson uses 30 and nighthawk 25.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gents

I must be in an "economically challenged" area.

cause i don't see too many Bears or NHs in the hardware stores i frequent:biggrin:

i do see a TRP every now and then

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Something to think about is the thickness of your front strap if you plan to do your own checkering. Colt, for one, has pretty thin walls on their late models. 20 lpi requires a deeper cut than 25 lpi, and like that. The more lines per inch the more shallow the cuts.

There've been people who have cut through their front straps. EGW does part of their business repairing the frames.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.