1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this may seam like a slightly stupid question, but hell I don't care. Is the Sig 1911 frame considered a Series 70 or 80 style frame?

Does not matter to me 'cause I love mine, but I am just curious.

Should have pics next week of my Sig 1911 with new Novak Fiber Optic sights installed.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Series 80 type, they have the firing pin safety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can lighten up the trigger pull by approx. 1/4 lb. by removing the plunger in the slide and its little spring ....be sure the little spring comes out.... both will drop out once you have the firing pin removed, and the false /dummy internal extractor, which holds it in place {older guns have a 2 dimpled 'man-hole-cover' screw on the right rear of the slide, holding in the plunger}

the levers in the frame REALLY also need to come out, -- to do that, you must first obtain a $5 shim to replace them in the space they occupy... since one must add something back in when the levers come out, as one of the levers is next to the sear, and one is next to the hammer

the little $5 shim I mentioned may be obtained from T.J.'s Custom direct, or from Brownells ... both are online:

Brownells web page with this item: {it is called: 1911 AUTO FRAME SLOT BLANK }

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=13121&st=1911&s=

cost is $4.25 retail, plus shipping, which will likely be a minimum of $10, so get some other stuff, while you are there

at T.J.'s the web page for the shim is {$5 from t.J., plus shipping}, and T.J. calls it: 1911 Series '80 to '70 shim

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/Photos4/1911Shim.htm

the shims just 'dropped into' my 'series 80' Colt 1911's, however, with my Sig 1911's, I polished both sides, to remove any burrs, and also to thin the shim slightly .... just rubbing it on a knife sharpening stone for a minute does it, be sure to do both sides... add a drop of oil and install {NOT a complicated operation ..... I could have asked a 10 yr. old to bevel and polish it and it would be perfect}

Don

/

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Forged stainess, there are a limited amount of carbon steel out there nd the c3 compacts are aluminum frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.