1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a stainless, new Sig 1911 early last week from Bud's. After finding various 1911 forums a few months ago, I figured if I was going to pick up an addition to my Sig 228, it was going to be a .45. So yes, I'm a 1911 noob but have been around firearms for several years.

After receiving my new hand cannon, I closely looked it over and was impressed with the slide fit, finish, slide action, trigger,etc. While I'm not here to discuss this part of the handgun, I must say it's a nice addition. The Novak night sights are a nice feature IMO as well.

After picking up two Wilson 47D's, two boxes of WWB, a box of Independence 230gr. hardball, two boxes of Monarch 230gr over the past 10 days, I was ready to hit the range today.

A five minute drive and I found myself to be the only shooter at the local indoor range. It's been over 10 years since I've fired a 1911--I forgot how much fun they are. Slamming the 47D home filled with WWB, which have been sitting loaded for a week at the advice of this forum and others, the first nine rounds were smooth as silk.

After about 10 mags down range with a mix of the aforementioned rounds, not a single hiccup. Out of the box, for me at least, this 1911 is more accurate than my 228.

My last mag, I pinned up a new target, wheeled it out to ~15-16 yards, and decided to see what I could do. Keeping in mind I'm not a competitive shooter, for the first time out, I'm happy with a 4" group clearing the mag in ~12secs.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. No FTF with three brands of ammo with over 100 rounds down range. Now I just need to practice my grip with the larger frame (than the 228 I'm used to) and live up to how accurate I feel this Sig is. Two inch groups coming soon ;)

Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep SIG make a very good 1911 even if it looks a bit different. Mine has about 3K down the pipe and the slide feels like its on ball bearings.

I suspect you improved accuracy versus your 228 is the 1911 trigger. It just doesn't get any better than a good 1911 trigger and the SIG has a particularly good one for a series 80 pistol.

Enjoy and show us some pix.

RMD

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice Tex, the sigs are sweet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think people blow the Sig 1911's proportions out of proportion ;) I have seen complaints on various boards mentioning how it's hard to find a holster for these guns. Well, last time I checked, leather stretches ;) Put a plastic bag around the gun and store it in the holster overnight, more if needed.

I'm looking at the Milt Sparks VM2 if I decide to carry it. The same for my 228, or a Comp Tac M Tac for the 228. I like having 18 friends with me in the 228 in more compact frame. But we will see.

-R

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have had no problems whatsoever using my sigs in regular 1911 leather holsters, the difference is very subtle. Plastic may be a totally different thing but I own no plastic holsters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only criticism would be the Monarch ammo....along with Wolf....I never use either. Good shooting and nice pattern. I have found that the guns are often more accurate than I am. Humbling but true and I shoot competitively. So I am really in trouble. Blessings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This Sig Platinum 1911 Carry is more than good to go...I shot a round of IPSC today and it did very well...and its not a gamers gun. Can;t wait to the the 5 inch in here and modified as I do, and run Wilson 10 round mags and do Limited 10 with it. May think about a tungsten guide rod for the 5 inch...hafta wait and see how it performs...on my Baer I got quicker recovery time with the tungsten. Blessings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Taking my 5 inch Platinum to the smith tomorrow to change out the trigger to a Nowlin and also an arched msh and mag well by S&A and Wilson 10 round magazines then will be ready for Limited10 shooting on Saturday at USPSA shoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shot Single Stack instead as could not find a sufficient number of
10 round magazines...will have them here by mid week...gun did well but really need to sight it in for me...the way I shoot and hold the gun...but am impressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only criticism would be the Monarch ammo..
That was what I could get during the great ammo scare per Nobama. Though, I'm glad I picked it up because it gave me a chance to see what the Sig would eat and it took it well.

Odd I happened to pop in here tonight after many months and my topic is on top ;)

Got about 550-600 rounds through it now with no problems with several mags. Still going strong as it should. Probably put another 100 rounds through it the week after next.

·
Registered
38 Posts
TX, my Sigs, 9 MM or the .45 ACP, will eat any thing P or +P. The only problem I had was with my P226 tactical with the 22L conversion kit. It doesn't like the 22's that come in the brick, but, the CCI 22L are fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.