1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here.
I've got a question. I shot 1911s for years in the Army and recently purchased a Mil-Spec. I know that the second click on the hammer is the half-cock (lol) safety. The third click is ready to fire. What is the first click and it's significance?
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

You must have a brand new Springer, they do not have captive half-cock notches anymore, they have a shelf/ledge at about the quarter cock position. Try this and see for curtain (make sure the weapon is unloaded), pull the hammer back to the first click, then try pulling the trigger, if the hammer falls, you have a new style hammer (copied from Colt's Series 80 hammer).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't worry about it. To properly cock a 1911, there should be a loaded magazine inserted, and the slide pulled back and released, then the thumb safety engaged. No need to thumb cock at all, except for cleaning or disassembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum.

You must have a brand new Springer, they do not have captive half-cock notches anymore, they have a shelf/ledge at about the quarter cock position. Try this and see for curtain (make sure the weapon is unloaded), pull the hammer back to the first click, then try pulling the trigger, if the hammer falls, you have a new style hammer (copied from Colt's Series 80 hammer).
Yes, the hammer falls from the "quarter" cock.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Welcome to the forum,Mike. I know a guy we call Mike the Impaler...I thought he was the only one.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.