1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29582081/

KSDK-TV is reporting a shooting at the First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill., with at least five people shot and needing transport to the hospital via helicopter.

Glen Garbon Police Department has officers at the church in Maryville, located about 15 miles outside St. Louis. The shooting, which took place at the 8:55 a.m. CDT service, was reportedly over, according to KSDK.

Maryville police said the pastor was shot three times and transported by helicopter to St. Louis University Hospital. In addition, four others were also shot. The gunman suffered an unknown injury as was also transported to the hospital.

Church Member Ashley Shank, interviewed by KSDK, was not in the church at the time of the shooting but she did talk to others who said the gunman was wearing a hoodie and pulled the weapon out of the hoodie.

Just before the shooting, the pastor had reportedly asked the gunman, who was standing in the aisle of the church, whether he or she needed help with anything.
That's very close to my home, and I used to attend church there when I was younger. I know the pastor (loosely, from when I was a kid) and still know plenty of people who go there. I'm home sick today, and my wife called from our church to tell me about it.

I have no idea if anyone else I know is injured.

And this is why I sit in the back row at church with a clear view of all the doors and say piss on IL's carry laws. There's bad people out there, and I'll be damned if I let them come in to the Lord's house and hurt my family.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you think about it from the "other side", churches are actually ripe targets whether you simply want to get an easy score or make some kind of demented statement by shooting someone. EVERY church should have people assigned to at least monitor those coming in and their activities. I instituted a full blown security team at my Church. Overkill? I hope so. I'd much rather be as prepared as possible for something that may (probably) never happen than explain to someones family why we didn't have a plan in place when "that guy" walked in and started randomly shooting. Where else do you have a reasonable certainty of where, when and why someone is going to be other than planned Church services? I hope more churches get together on the important issues of security before we see even more of this happening.
Sarge

·
Registered
85 Posts
I crossed paths with the pastor some years back when I was in the mid-west, seemed like a real decent young man. I was crushed when I read the news about his senseless death.

Given my background and an increase in church shooting incidents; a 1911 Gov't in either .45auto or .38Super can be found on my hip during church and Bible study. I probably rationalize a bit, but figure even shepherds have sheep dogs. :)

Bob

·
1911auto Supporters
286 Posts
Guys, David carried a staff and a sling when he protected the sheep. Same weapons to fight Goliath. The disciples carried swords. No rationalization needed. The Psalmist in Psalms 23 finds comfort in the rod and the staff.
My rod is on my hip!!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Another one here.
There are several armed around me. I still want the option if I need it too.

BTW I have been wanting to say this but have always forgot it by the time I finished a post behind you.
What Chapter & verse tells us about Moses trading in his old rod for that new one.:rofl::bravo::flag:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
2nd David 2:5 referrs back to it. Moses started carrying it when the Caananites started staying just out of bow range. I really do like the avitar.

:rofl::wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.