1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haunt several 1911 forums and I noticed there are no threads for FFL issues. I am considering obtaining a FFL-01 and I have questions which need answers from experienced FFL holders I would like to see a FFL thread where questions could be posted and ideas and information could be passed on. No other forums have this and I think that it would be very beneficial. Come on guys, be the first on on the block to offer the service. Thanks for the opportunity to be heard. David.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
No problem with starting a thread like that but i would say most of us dont have a FFL so not sure how much info youll get but have at it

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Like Bud said, no problem with a thread in the "general firearms discussions" forum but as far as a separate forum (which you didn't mention) I don't think there would be enough to warrant it. Not sure why you would ask about starting a thread though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FFL Forum.

Forum is what I needed to say. Sorry about the confusion and I greatly appreciate your speedy reply. While there may not be a lot of FFL holders on the forum, the ones that are here can provide a valuable service, which is not available anywhere else. Hopefully, this will be taken into consideration. Thanks again, David.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
David, check your local and State laws about obtaining an FFL. In Virginia Beach, Va. where I live, a store front is needed to obtain an FFL. In some isolated cases a permit will be granted to operate out of your house. I had my FFL many years ago and I never should have given it up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ffl 01

I live in the desert outside of El Paso, Tx. and I own an old cafe which I can use. I hope to start a small sideline business, specializing in affordable 1911's, C&R weapons, SKS's & AK's and will leave the high end stuff to the El Paso Gun Shops. I plan to operate on weekends, when people have the time to come out here and will be open on weekdays by prior appointment, for handling transfers and special orders. I am not expecting to make any profits for the first year, returning all monies back into the business to expand the stock. I am starting on a small budget and have very little overhead, as I own the building and will not have any addition employees to pay. I do not expect to get rich, just indulge my hobby and have some fun at the same time. If the business grows, I'll be happy, but I am not in it as a living. I work 2 other jobs that pay ok, and think that I can make a go of it. David.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
David, that sounds like a great deal to me!!!!

By the way, I collect Coca Cola items, does your old Cafe have anything like that????

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup

Got a bunch of old green coke bottles and a wooden Dr. Pepper bottle flat in good shape. The Coke bottles have different plant names on the bottom, El Paso, Tx.; Loving, N.M.; etc. Any interest? I'll gladly trade you all of em for one of you RIA Compacts, you have too darned many of 'em anyway! David.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What a deal David!!!!:smile:

I was really looking for old signs especially the Coke button sign.:smile:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Well there you go, start asking and I will be watching and learning.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK...

When (and if) I get my FFL-01, can I transfer firearms from my present collection into the store inventory? I understand that if I transfer a firearm from my store to my private collection, I must retain possession for 1 year before I can sell the weapon. Is this true and does it apply the same way if I transfer from my present collection? If I can, what would I enter as the source in the bound book? I can not use the FFL-01 number because it belongs to the business, not my personally owned weapons. Thanks, David.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Guys, these questions need to go to the general firearms section and not the announcements section.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
David, I would suggest that you go here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/index.htm
and spend some time researching any questions you may have. You can view the regulations on line, download them to your computer, or better yet - order a printed copy (free of charge) to be delivered to your door from the ATF distribution center. http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

Get a copy of the State Laws publication as well, and these should answer most of your questions for you to get started. I have an (03) FFL, but I have not studied up on all the (01) "dealer" regulations since most of them don't apply to my situation, so I wouldn't be a great deal of help to you anyway. :redface:

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
I had to go looking for this thread - it moved on me!

As far as it goes, I keep my personal inventory separated (physically too) from my dealer inventory.

Why do you want to bring your personal guns under the control and regulation of your FFL?

It is true you need to have it in inventory for a year before you book it to your personal control, but not the other way around, as far as I know.

Best bet is to call the ATF.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to bring all of my weapons under inventory, only if I want to sell some of them out of the store.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying to start..

My single biggest hold-up is finding a gun safe (10-15 long guns and 10-15 pistols) that is adequate and inexpensive. I have not completed a FFL Application yet, I'm trying to get everything in place first. The building that I am going to use is very old and making it "Break-in Proof" will probably not be possible. Thats why I need a good safe. Anyone have any ideas? I am trying to start the business on a shoestring budget and need all the help that I can get! Thanks, David.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Inexpensive?

Less than I can afford!:whistle: Looking to get one under 700.00. :shades:Need a locking combination dial and a fire rating of 1500 degrees for 1 hour or better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.