1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start another thread, just to keep things rolling, on cleaning. After all these years I have favorite cleaning tools and cleaners just as I am sure everyone else does. Most of the peopel here are old timers, but if there are any new people I say stay away from the kits and just get better stuff individually because for the most part kits are crap. I'm not saying what I use is better than anyone elses, I'm just saying everyone is different and a company throwing a bunch of stuff in a box will not get it right. Here's what I like to have:

First I like a good solid cleaning rod. I really like the dewey:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...title=HANDGUN CHAMBER & CYLINDER CLEANING ROD

I like brass brushes, I have read the stainless ones should not be avoided so I use brass ones. No brand preference, they pretty much are all the same to me.

Cleaning jags. I like Jags instead of loops and I like the tipton ones. I don't have a full set as I don'tneed them but they look like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/582621

Brushes. Regular toothbrushes are great, I also like to have a couple of these around just in case:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9802&title=HOPPE'S UTILITY BRUSH

Plenty of patches and rags.

Fluids, I prefer weaponshield and I like hoppe's for quick clean jobs inbetween. I like gunbutter also, but weaponshield is good enough that I don't bother any more. I like enos slide glide also.

A decent box. I picked up one of these some time ago at walmart, it's the only one I have ever seen there. I got rid of the original cleaning kit and like it a lot. I keep some small parts in the drawer and the cleaning stuff in the tray.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=417656

I might have missed something but I will add it later on. You guys add your list and we may see something someone else is using and say, wow I could use one of those.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I use a solid rod and brass jags and brush's i use a big tackle box to store my stuff in .

I use rags and such for patches

I use Hoppes and blue wonder gel to clean

and for oil Mobile One

grease Brian Enos Slide Glide

·
Registered
394 Posts
I like and have a solid rod, and brass bore brushes. I also have a couple nylon bore brushes that work great for places that are hard to reach with the old toothbrush. I need to pick up a jag yet...I`ve been negligent in that area. I use Rem Oil spray for my solvent...does a fair job. I need to pick up some Hoppes and or something for the bore. And I use FP 10 as my lube. I like disposable shop rags along with regular cotton patches for clean up, and use cotton shop rags for final wipedown.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Forgot Nylon brushs.. I like to chuck them in the cordless drill to clean cylinders

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
a small plastic tub.
Like the kind you get at the hospital.
matter of fact, I think that's where the one using came from.

I toss a small towel in the bottom and clean the barrels over the tub.
That way dribbles are contained and if I dump the bottle of bore solvent, it's in the tub too.

More often than not I'm shooting 2 different cal guns, so I need different bore brushes and jags.
I bought bunches of brass rods and dedicated each one for one chore.
One rod w/45cal brush, one w/45 jag
One rod with 9mm brush, one rod w/jag
one for 40cal
No unscrewing to change tips.

Bore solvents I use are standard fare.
Hoppes Nummba nine, Tiptons Bufalo Bore, Shooters Choice, etc.
Once clean, i follow up with a wet patch of Hoppes oil, then a dry patch.

To clean the slide and frame, it's brake parts cleaner and compressor.
(wear your safety glasses, cause you CAN/will get spash back)

To lube, I spray inside and out with CLP then wipe external and blow off all internals.
The slide rails, lugs and link get a syringe shot of Shooters Choice red grease

all the goods go into the tub and drawer til next time

..l.T.A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Super tech Brake parts cleaner (Non-chlorinated).
CLP.
Silicone impregnated cloth.

Brass brushes, a couple jags and cotton patches. A handful of GI style brushes (Stainless, brass and nylon) and a mag swab.

Thats about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Clean with MPro7 in a small ultrasonic cleaner. Lube with FP-10 (same as Weaponshield).
If they're gonna be stored for a while, a good wipedown with Sheath.
Buff with a silicone rag every time they're put to bed.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Cleaning is with Break Free and Hoppe's as needed. Lube is FP-10, Militech, RemOil, or Castrol Syntec(for the Marlin), and Slide Glide for match guns.

Nylon bore brush, brass bore brush, jags, an old tooth brush and brass "toothbrush" for general cleaning. ChoreBoy as needed. Mag brush and cotton swab for magazines.

I use one of those manicure wooden sticks with 2 different points on them(I forget what they're called) for tight spots and I can wrap some crocus cloth around them for gentle polishing.

My cleaning/service station in the gun room has assorted tools, stones, files, emmory, bore lights, magnifiers, springs and other small parts all in a Craftsman 4 drawer box. Swing arm light w/magnifier and a small vise are clamped to the table. Cleaning cloths, rags, solvents, patches and small parts bins on the shelf above the box. Seems to work OK.

In warmer months I move the station to the garage to be closer to compressed air and more tools - and cigars!:biggrin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 on the cigars. When I was younger I had a cabinet full of guns and they all were given lots and lots of loving care, detail cleaned and kept in gun socks. These days I give the few guns I have one good once over after each time shoot them and call it good.
I still use rods and brushes and patches on the bores, rags and M-16 tooth brushes on the other parts. I use mostly Break Free CLP. I give the bores some Hoppes 9 here and there to keep down fouling. Thats about it. All of them are going to out live me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brass rod and jag and of course patches.

.50 cal blackpowder bore brush.

Chore Boy for lead.

Brake Cleaner also Cylinder-Slide Dunkit.

Wilson Ultimalube or Jardine's Extreme.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I use Dewey rods for the long guns and they are really nice. For the handguns I have an aluminum rod of unknown manufacture connected to a bronze brush.

I like MPro7 and Break Free CLP for cleaning, Wilson Ultima Lube for lubrication.

Wipe Out works well on the bores of the handguns and long guns. It's a foaming bore cleaner and does a really good job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts