1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching the local Cabela's, waiting for a CBOB to come in for a landing so I could spring my trap and take it home with me. This morning I got a phone call from a friend saying that not only was one in, but there were actually TWO. I dropped everything on my desk and ran out of here and made the 25 minute drive to the store and sure enough, there in the case was a shiny DW CBOB. I held it in my hands, but very soom after that I noticed that it was not a .45, but a 10mm which is not what I'm wanting right now. It had the finer checkering on the frontstrap, but none of the other upgrades of the newer models. It was an '07 version. The clerk said there was another CBOB in the gun library right around the corner, so I went running over there and saw another one. Once again, I was disappointed - it was an '06 model and had NOT been taken care of very well in its life. Pretty rough.
The upside is that instead of either crying or turning green and wrecking the place, I had them order a new one in for me. I don't know how long it will take, but it WILL happen. It's worth a few extra $$$ to get the new, current manufacture over the different caliber or the abused one in the right caliber.
So Keith, if you're reading this, please make sure to send mine out soon. :biggrin:
I look forward to giving a range review upon it's arrival sometime in the next two to 4 weeks depending on how many coffee breaks the Cabela's guys take before actually placing the order. :hairpull:
Sarge

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Some of the 07's have the undercut behind the trigger guard, I have an end of 07 cbob that has it. Here is my .45 (left) with a 10mm I used to have that did no have it. They both have the finer checkering.:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one had the finer checkering, but still had the blued bushing and the STI safety lever. Since I'm ordering it anyway, I want the latest version.
Thanks for the info!
Sarge

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Welcome to Club CBOB!

Was it just dirty with holster wear,or was it actually neglected? I'd take an abused one if the internals checked out and the price was right. Not too likely at Cabela's though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much of it was just flat out grime, but there were a number of deep scratches on it as well. Like it was thrown in a bin of nails or something. The price was only $20 less than the new 10mm, so not in the running in my mind.
I'm selling the wife on the idea under the guise of needing one to get those bobtail grips juuuuuuuust right. Good thing is, she believes it. :rofl: All kidding aside, she's a very supportive woman, and I'm thankful to have her.
Sarge

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a call from Cabela's yesterday saying that they had found a CBOB to order in for me. When I asked what they meant by "found", they said that CZ was out of pistols to ship (?) and it would be a while before they could get any, so they found one from another dealer. I asked if they knew the serial number of the weapon and he had it on the sheet. Turns out it was an '06 model. Talk about disappointed! Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the new ones to hit. They must be selling well if they're that hard to get hold of! I'd rather wait and get the newer model with its improvements than jump on it now and make the changes myself. Oh, and the 06 they were going to bring in was just about at MSRP, but if I wait for the new ones to come in (a month or two out, he's going to call me back today) they will be about $150 under MSRP. Yup, I'll wait. :tongue:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After going to the local gun stores for a week and feeling like I should have gotten a tube of vaseline with our dealings and leaving frustrated, I called Cabela's again this morning and it turns out they just got in a shipment of spanking new 2008 model CBOB's at their central dist. center. Price is barely above street price and well below the gun store prices, so I told them to bring one in to my local store. Long story short, mid to late next week, I should be showing you pics of my new acquisition and making some killer grips for it.
I'm a happy camper now that the drooling is almost over and the shooting almost here. I'm not one to wish my life away on getting the next toy, but I will be glad when it's in it's MS VMII holster and on my hip.
Sarge

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got orders waiting on my CBOB to show up which will be filled first, but then I will work on getting some to the site.
It's supposed to be in midweek or so. I can't wait! Too bad that before it's even shot, it will be out in my woodshop, staring at me every evening wondering why I'm not taking it to the range. :frown::plugears:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sarge,

I've seen pics of your work on that "other" 1911 site and have been very impressed with the variety, complexity and overall beauty of your work. In particular, you had posted pics of some grips made from Birdseye Maple that I thought would look fabulous on my CBOB. I happen to have a hunk of Birdseye measuring roughly 8 x 8 x 1 that I've saved for years for the purpose of having custom grips made - would you be able to "PM" me with some pricing and expected turn-around?
Many thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Long story short, Cabela's dropped the ball again and don't know now where MY bobtail is, so I ended up leaving with a ever so slightly used december 2007 weapon that had all the improvements done to it that I was looking for in a 2008. They made me a sweet deal on it for my trouble. Unfortunately, the warranty card was missing. This pistol has to have less than 50 rounds through it total, maybe less than that, so I'm satisfied, but will DW back the weapon with a warranty? Just a question. Keith?
I got it home and was impressed by the frame to slide fit that everyone brags about. It is tight! Any tighter and it would bind up and not move, but it's smooth like butta right now.
I did notice two things of which one is easily correctable I'm sure -
The trigger has a lot of takeup before it gets solid and breaks. I guess I need to look for a trigger that can be adjusted for uptake with the tabs on it. Second one is a little more involved to fix I believe. The grip safety is a little loose in its fitting and actually rattles when the gun moves. It engages properly and fully, so all is safe, it's just a little nuisance that's all. I'm sure I can get a gunsmith to fix me up, but wondered if CZ/DW had a fix for this or if this was something they'd run into before?
Any help or light you can shed would be appreciated Keith.
Overall, I'm impressed by the weapon and can't wait to get it out to the range. Unfortunately, I have bobtail grips backordered for customers and it won't leave my shop until I'm caught up. I can't stand to post pics of it with those stock grips on it, so I won't post any until I fix that problem myself. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well glad you got your CBOB, but you failed to post any pics.
I couldn't stand to post pics of my weapon with those non fitting stock grips on it. Made a set out of Thuya Burl tonight and will post pics tomorrow. Man, what a difference grips that fit the bobtail make in the looks of the weapon! I think I'm going to love making grips for these type weapons!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.