1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an SA stainless Mil-spec that I bought an extended slide release for. Only problem being I've also installed a set of Crimson Trace grips that have a plunger tube cover. That being said, what's the least amount of clearance that is acceptable for the slide release. This will be the first part I've tried to really fit. Won't be the last since also purchased a wide thumb safety, beavertail, hammer, trigger and extended mag release.

Currently the new extended release is residing on my Kimber CDP. Had to put it on something that worked once I started playing the other night. Thumb safety might go on the CDP also in place of the stock ambi safety, but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm no gunsmith...but as long as it has enough clearance to work it should be fine.

But...In my opinion, if this is a carry gun, an extended slide stop is a bad idea...lots of people are prone to hitting them during firing, and causing the slide to lock back...that would be bad juju in a self defense situation. And thats only 1 reason...there are a few more, but its your decision. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its coming off my CDP which is one of my CCW's. The Springfield was a decent priced find that I could add on to and change however I wanted. Strictly a field fun gun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, those lasergrips go up and cover the plunger tube, so your extended slide release is "bumping into" it, as in won't push all the way in, correct? I would say just remove some material from the inside of the "paddle" portion, a little bit at a time, till it no longer bumps into the grip. Should be no problem. Post pics, let's check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade, but if youre using your right thumb to hit the slide release, youre using the wrong thumb.

When you do a mag change, look where your left thumb ends up...right over the slide release.

Watch some of the really fast IPSC shooters on Youtube.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade, but if youre using your right thumb to hit the slide release, youre using the wrong thumb.

When you do a mag change, look where your left thumb ends up...right over the slide release.

Watch some of the really fast IPSC shooters on Youtube.
Well............I'll be darned! I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts