1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had the first one listed. That type has been aound for a lot of years. It may have been made by different people over that time, so one may vary from another for all I know.

The set I had was fine. It fit OK and all that, but was meant to replace a GI sight in the same dovetail cut. So obviously, if you are replacing a sight in a GI cut, you'll be fine, but if not...you won't be.

But like I say, that was the one I had. Another may fit something else.
I really can't recall who made mine now. That was 18 to 20 years ago.

Wilson sold something a lot like it for a long time...at least all through the 80's.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The set I had was fine. It fit OK and all that, but was meant to replace a GI sight in the same dovetail cut. So obviously, if you are replacing a sight in a GI cut, you'll be fine, but if not...you won't be.
Well yes, drop in sight. I'm looking for something that looks halfway decent on my colt oacp until I decide to get novak cuts, if I ever do. How did it look?

They do look a lot like the wilson snag free sights except cheaper:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_sights_ne.asp

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well yes, drop in sight. I'm looking for something that looks halfway decent on my colt oacp until I decide to get novak cuts, if I ever do. How did it look?

They do look a lot like the wilson snag free sights except cheaper:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_sights_ne.asp
Yes, sorry. It seems like the GI cut has become the exception anymore, so I've got to where I see "drop-in" and wonder "drop-in for what?" since there are so many sight cuts now.

It does look similar to the current Wilson Snag-Free. I'm fairly certain that earlier versions had more vertical sides- not the slanted cuts like now. I still have a Wilson catalog from the mid-80's around here somewhere and will look if I run across it.

It seems like either everybody was making a version of that sight, or else one place made them for all of them to sell.
I think I may have got mine from Quality Parts (before they were Bushmaster), but every gun show had someone selling them.

How did it look?
It fit fine. I don't recall any ugly gaps, and it didn't hang off the back of the slide looking silly. I staked in a taller front sight along with it, but had to file it down quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That IS a pretty accurate statement Barry as pertaining to sights, but I think most if not all drop in 1911 parts refer to the colt basic "GI" model. It does seem like everyone is getting away from those though.

If I go with one I will shoot it then see how high I need to go on a front sight before restaking it. I would like to go novak but can't do it right now. I don't like the gi type sights at all though. I do kind of like the yobo retro sights but if I can find something this style that looks like it belongs there I will try it. I tried the drop in (gi dovetail fit) sight on an officers and it did not look like it even belonged there. Looked like a turd on a log.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you like the sights that Colt has used which I think they call "High Profile" sights? It looks like a GI rear sight, but taller.
If so, it's very similar to (if not the same as) King's Gun Works' Hardball sight. It only runs $15.50 for the rear sight alone and 23.95 for the front/rear set. http://www.kingsgunworks.com/sights.html

If you like the Yost-Bonitz Retro, you might hurry up and get it. I've heard conflicting reports from them as to whether they will continue selling them since rearranging the business. Mostly, it sounds like they will NOT.
If they have already quit, Brownells may still have some.

Robar makes a rear sight that looks like the Y-B Retro (Robar's actually came first, I believe). I don't know if they sell it seperate or if you have to have them install it as part of a $2000 package though!

I like all of the above sights also myself.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't like the gi sights, whether the high profile or not. I have always liked the kings and yobo sights better than the gi sights but I like the king tappan combat sights better than the hardball sight.

The name of the yobo sights have been changed from yost bonitz to heirloom precision which is yost and his new partners. I believe he plans on continuing the sights under that name.

I have read about the robar sight but was not able to find it on their website as being sold by itself and have not contacted them.

Either of those would be my choice if I stay with the gi "style" but I was looking for an easy way to get a low profile type no snag sight. I'm trying to convince myself to just wait and have the novak rear and dovetail front cuts done later on.

I have an EGW melt bushing, egw guide rod/reverse plug set with ismi spring and greider trigger coming for that pistola (colt oacp) so I have a few more things I want to do in the meantime.

I might have found what I am looking for at nowlin:

http://store.nowlinguns.com/merchan...tore_Code=NG&Product_Code=RX&Category_Code=SP

Edit: I took the plunge anyway and ordered the nowlin. It looks like it probably has a piece that slides in the dovetail and then the sight attaches to it so that it "wraps around" the slide.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Edit: I took the plunge anyway and ordered the nowlin. It looks like it probably has a piece that slides in the dovetail and then the sight attaches to it so that it "wraps around" the slide.
I have a similar sight that came from Chip McCormick. That's exactly how it mounts. I used it on a HiPower, even though the slide contour is a little different and didin't fit perfect.

It's an OK sight unless you have any windage trouble. Since it "saddles" around the slide, it can't move laterally.

My only real complaint was that the allen screw that mounts it is pretty small and uses a tiny allen wrench. Be careful- It looks easily stripped if you try to tighten it too much. Not the screw threads, but the allen wrench hex cut in the screw.

I knew about Yo-Bo, but am still in the habit of saying Y-B instead of Heirloom, I guess!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will look at it when I get it and see what I think, from the pics though it's worth checking it out compared to the other drop in sights. If it looks bad, very much off on the contour, I can always fleabay it. Most places tend to make stuff where it fits colts pretty good, usually better than the others, so maybe it will be decent. Here's another shot:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.