1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read post and advertisements on the Dragunov SVD, as being a sniper weapon. The ex soviet union never entended it for a sniper designated weapon. It was designated as a squad support long range rifle. I personaly own a Dragunov Tiger converted to a SVD (military) platform, and it ranges to 1200 meters plus. Granted I can take out a turban at the above mentioned range, but if I want percised long range sniper shots, I will use my Savage 10 FPHS in 308, or my Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper in 7.62 X 54R, both in bolt action platforms. The Romanians have jumped on the ban wagon as well with thier version of the Dragunov PSL. Calling it a sniper rifle, which it is not. Both rifles are decent long range shooters, but are not true sniper rifles by any means. If you look at the "Police Sniper" statistic's, the average law enforcement sniper shot is 150 yards or less. The US Military's snip[er rifles vary in many different platforms. Most are bolt actions, and some are semi-auto's. The M14 and Barrett 50 BMG are the most widely used US Military semi-auto sniper plarforms, and are designated by our military as true sniper rifles! Thanks for your intrest. capttom!:wavey::flag:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
donkey77; When I get some down time I will try and post a few pic's, thanx, capttom.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I passed up a good deal on a PSL for the same reason...I studied up and decided it wasn't a true sniper platform. Not that I could max out the PSL or do anything sniper-ish anyway, but for long range shots I like my Savage 10FP as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all reality the Romanian PSL is built on an AK reciever, unlike the Dragunov SVD which is built on thier machine gun reciever(main differnce). The PSL in fact is a much better long range shooter than an AK for two main reasons, 1st caliber, 7.62 X 54R vs 7.62 X 39, and 2nd lenth of barrel PSL vs AK. There is alot more update parts for the SVD's available through Russian sources at a very high expence. The PSL has some part updates, but very few. There was a guy on the internet that had made polymere furiture sets for the PSL, but I heard that he is no longer producing them. If you can find a PSL for a resonable price ($600.00) or less you can pick up an after market scope rail/mount, and adorn it with some decent optics, & you could fine tune it to a decent sniper platform. There is alot of different grain ammo's out there in corrosive and non-corrosive 7.62 X 54R. I persoanaly prefer the Wolf 167 grain non-corrosive, as a"Sniper" round. Less recoil and tighter groups with practice. The Russian long range scopes available, are decent in target ranging, but they are ass backwards in operation compaired to todays high end scopes. they take some getting use to and are crudeley built. I was lucky enough to pick up my SVD Tiger several years ago, and even with all the extra goodies I purchased for it, I am still under $2500.00. I wouldn't even consider selling it for less than $5000.00, and even more when the "supposed" ban becomes law again. They can never be imported again, and if you can afford a Tiger at which you consider a reasonable price, you'd best get it before its too late, and too expensive. The PSL could be a decent long range performer with the right upgrades and many trips to the range to get "TIGHT". Thanks for your intrest, capttom!:wavey::flag:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The other big difference in the PSL and SVD is the gas system. The PSL still uses an AK like piston that is attached to the carrier while the SVD uses an intermediate "floating" piston which allows for less "action motion" influence on the barrel while firing.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The M14 and Barrett 50 BMG are the most widely used US Military semi-auto sniper plarforms, and are designated by our military as true sniper rifles! Thanks for your intrest. capttom!:wavey::flag:
Most everyone I know of in and around the military at Ft. Bragg, don't use the m107 Barrett or the M14, the predominant gun used around Ft. Bragg seems to be the M40, which is basically the Remington 700 with some modifications, and are usually chambered in 7.62x51, and they have some chambered in 300 Win Mag, but don't shoot them much as they say they will shoot out the barrel with that hot round.
One guy works with us part time is in the sand box right now, but when he is state side teachs sniper school at Ft. Bragg, and said that most of what they shoot is 308 / 7.62x51mm in the M40.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M14/Barrett 50BMG

I agree with the above reply that alot of M40's and simular bolt action 308's are commonly used by our Special Operations Command, Navy Seals, Air Force Para Jumpers, Marine Force Recon, and my very own, Army Special Forces. Most US Military Sniper Schools use the 308 bolt action as a base sniper platform, but in the "sand box" and other hot spots around the globe, the M14 Scoped, and Barrett 50 are commonly used. Most two man sniper teams carry an array of sniper rifles to include all mentioned above. The M14 designated sniper is carried by ground units in the Marines and Army. Most platoon sized independent units have a designated sniper carrying a M14 scoped rifle mainly because of the penetratation power over the M4/M16. ********* commonly hide behind objects which the 556 round is useless against, thus alot of M14's came out of moth balls to meet the need. Smith Enterprises, in Tempe AZ was one of several companies to reoutfit M14's with optics, flash hiders, bipods, and other related sniper tolls, to meet our Military's needs in the Middle East. I'd bet if you added up all the sniper rifles just in Iraq and Afganastan, there would be alot more M14's and Barrett 50's than M40's and related bolt action 308"s. Just an observation by one that use to be in the "S**T". Either way, all are good sniper tools for the mission at hand. Thanks for your intrest, capttom.:shades::flag::flag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.