1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in putting a set of "white dot" style sights on my RIA Tactical .45. Are there any such sights which are direct replacements for the factory sights? I'd like to find something that I can replace myself, without having to find a gunsmith to do the work.

SteveM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While talking to a local gunsmith about this just last Saturday he suggested that if I didn't want to spend additional monies that he could dimple my existing sights (or I could) and paint them any color I wished. I hate it when people give me too much information..... :hairpull:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dimpling/drilling.

I have been thinking the same thing (modifying my own sights). I guess my biggest concern is getting the dots on the rear sight in exactly the correct position relative to one another. I think I could do it with a drill press and drill press vise without being too far off.

How about the front sight, I guess I need to take a closer look at mine to see if I'm feeling lucky.

I guess if I screw up the factory sights, then I'll be no farther behind than if I had just thrown down the money for a new set.

SteveM.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I WILL be changing out the tiny combat sights on my new 38 Super later this spring or early summer when I have the few extra bucks. I`ve also gathered that the front sight requires the narrow tenon (correct?). Now I just need to know...What is the dovetail cut for the rear. When I`ve got that figured out, selection will be much easier.

·
Registered
207 Posts
On my RIA .45 Tactical I did as my trainer/gunsmith suggested.

Cleaned the sights perfectly clean, got enamel paint, a tooth pick and put the dots on. If you don't get it perfect, wipe it off, when you get it perfect, let it dry. It is VERY easy to do. :shades:

·
Registered
394 Posts
You know, I`ve read all over the place that guys are doing that and very happy with the results. I just might give it a shot. Won`t be out anything more than a couple bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The front sight is a narrow tenon, the rear sight is a standard dovetail. Just put new dot system on my 9mm converted GI. I tried the fingernail polish and testers paint, it worked okay but it becomes a maintence issue. If you clean your gun, you have to reapply the paint too many times in my opinion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have recently tried the toothpick and paint system, and apparently didn`t get things clean enough prior to application. I wiped everything down and used denatured alchohol to get clean. The job looked great when I got the paint on, but within a few days it came off. I might try it once more, but right now my thinking is new sights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.