1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got the notification in the mail that my CCL is ready to be picked up at the Sheriff office. :dancingbananna: So that is the good news. Bad thing is that I got the letter on Friday, so I have to wait all weekend until Monday to go get it.:hairpull::hairpull:

I was told 90 days is the average wait, I got my letter in 86 days, but Monday will be the 89th day. So, :crazy:..

Then OD wrote: Congratulations. Remember, don't ask, don't tell.

I know many on the board here are from high population areas. Some of those have a high concentration of anti-gun population or those who know nothing about them.

Others live way out in the country (where I wish I was able to be) & go to town only when you have too.

I want to go on record as saying, "I never ADVERTISE the fact that I have a Texas CHL or that I am carrying." (read my signature) I recomend the same to folks I train. When I have to go to Houston to the hospitals, Dallas for the Tex State Rifle Assoc gun show that is about the only times I am in the big city. For sure half dozen times a yr will cover a bad yr for me.

With that as a background:

For yrs there has only been 2 instructers w/ in 100+ miles of here. We now have a 3rd one in the county & 2 North of us about 50 mi. I estimate.
Here for someone to have a CHL & no one but the wife know would be next to double impossible even starting now & more so for those of us that have had them for 10+.
I also am the Range Safety Officer at local gun club.
I have gone to the class w/ Mom, Wife, several in our church that I have trained. I have never been to a class that no one knew anyone except who they may have come with.
Classic example. Went with Mom for her last renewal & soon as we walked in the door I hear, "HEY Preacher, what you doin here" & several gather up for hand shakes,Mom & I join the circle, visit & coffee before starting.
Everyone in Tiny Town, Texas knows every one, hunts together, or close, shoot together at the range or on their property, goes to church & town meeting, only one grocery stor in Diboll.....
For me or most anyone who has been in my setting to be completely unknown would mean I would have drove 100+ miles for my first permit, the same for renewals, and never help anyone or shoot a pistol from conceal holster w/a neighbor or friend.

Summary:
Looooong time resident of Tiny Town, Texas. (Lufkin, Diboll) Know everyone & am known. Pastored 3 Churches here over the last 23 yrs.
Safety officer at Local gun club.
When I go to a renewal or w/ someone I have trained, Britt gives me the new shooters especially any ladies for instruction. I am extra eyes & help on his firing line.
Am as outspoken about 2A issues as I am about the Gospel.
Teach Practical Personal Defense to aged, small & physically weaker, & women.
Set up & teach home defense plans.
Folks come to me w/ Qs about gear, folks are sent to me by others w/ gear Qs.
A lot of folks know I carry due to the above.

QUESTION
How many have the priviledge of not being known? Are you in a life situation somewhat like mine? Are you somewhere in between?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
All my friends and family know I carry...my boss knows I carry (background check).

I do what I can to keep my gun out of plain sight...but I am not anal about it.
Sometimes I carry openly. I guess in the big cities it would bet better to be "concealed"...but I'm way out in the boonies when I'm home, and like you, when I do get into town, I'm well known and liked...I go the local police firing range (ain't supposed to, but they let me anyway) just for some friendly competition once in a while.

Having said all that...I don't personally know anybody who is anti-gun...around home, guns are accepted as a part of life.

EDIT: Great thread BTW...IMO

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. Hope it helps the new to carry.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Excellent post.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Other than Family Boss and most of bosses at work background check .. and couple coworkers who run the same circles .. read gunshops no one

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
No one knows when I carry. Maybe if I am in Northern MN with friends on vacation I will tell them, but that is rare. No one really needs to know.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Nobody knows I carry. Many, many times while talking with neighbors I've had the Colt on my hip, concealed.

Just last week, during a brief warm spell, I had the garaged door open doing a small job, and the neighbor came by to chat. I wasn't carrying, but after about 20 min the talk turned to guns, competition shooting and concealed carry issues.(He knows I shoot USPSA)

He asked if I carried and I answered NO.
He said , "I didn't think so because I would have seen it with all the times I've been over here".:biglaugh:

I told him I had been thinking about it and asked if he was thinking about it. When he said yes, he had, I told him I had researched the process and had some information for him. I gave him the details and told him he should talk to the police chief and get a 'personal protection', UNLIMITED carry license. The sportsman license here is very limiting so the Unlimited license is the way I would go, IF I were getting a permit.:biglaugh:

I saw him today, and he said he stopped by the police station on his way home from work. He said he filled out the paperwork and gave them the money. I then said with the sternest voice I could muster, "Never let ANYONE know that you are carrying. It's none of their business and will only cause concern or worry. Don't do it!"

He said he'd never thought about that side of it, but that really did make sense. I said try to conceal it as best you can. The law allows open carry, but there's no reason to alarm the sheeple at the service station!

I also gave him a couple of web sites for holsters and gently guided him toward Milt Sparks.
I said, "My buddy loves his!":biglaugh:

He then taked about getting a gun and asked if I had a recommendations?
I said I'd be happy to help him pick out a gun. So, we're going to the gun shop next weekend!
I still don't think he knows I carry, but I'll bet he has his suspicions now!:biggrin:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Well played! :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Way to go, Jack.

·
1911auto Supporters
286 Posts
Good post!
I'm in somewhat the same situation as Longtooth. I've been the pastor of the same church for the last 22 years, going on 23.:hairpull:
People in this area know me and how I stand on firearms. So I've decided to use it to get people involved.
Last Sunday after church 3 couples came up and asked about getting their CCL. I'm not an instructor but I know several. Some of the men and I will take the young people out to the range and shoot 22s or 38s.
I agree that it is better if the world doesn't know you carry but in my situation; ( I've got a big mouth:redface:) many do know so I might as well get some good out of it.
I'm like Longtooth in the since that I'm as vocal about the 2A as I am about the Gospel.
Many still believe that only thugs carry guns and it is nice to rattle their cage sometimes.:shades:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in the country about thirty miles from town on 80 acres and I carry all the time whether I'm wotking on the farm fixing fence, riding the 4-wheelers hunting or just for fun. So just about everyone around that sees me knows I carry.

I also work in town 5 days a week where most of the people I work with know that I am a hunter and shooter. Myself and a friend/boss both discuss guns and hunting in the office and have guns and shooting supplies delivered to the office. So if my co-workers/employees don't know that I carry then we should fire them for not being observant.

All of my close friends know that I carry. As for letting others know I carry, it depends on who they are and the situation in which the conversation comes up as to whether I will tell them or not.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I live in a smaller rural town, and primarily only family ever knows if I`m carrying, not even my friends know...even though they are all hunters and have all talked about getting their CCW. Since we are not allowed to have any kind of weapon on work premises (60 miles away) obviously carry is not an option, or much of a conversation piece. However, as I`ve stated before, my 1911 is always with me....it just spends time in the safe thats bolted to the floor of my vehicle. My boss and I have occasionally discussed CCW since he too has a CCW permit. And one other guy at the office has seen my desktop theme on my laptop, and is aware that I own and shoot guns. He`s a hunter so no problemo...he`s only ever asked a few questions. The only others who I know have a clue about my carrying is a couple of gas station clerks.....they know me and are quite happy knowing I carry since they have been robbed on an occasion or two or three, and have quietly voiced a desire that I had been around when it happened.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The people I work with assume I carry all the time, I use it as a selling point on the nicer carry guns, however outside of work I dont advertise and I try to make a point of not letting anyone know. I guess being a gun salesman makes it a little tougher to keep it a secret.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The people I work with assume I carry all the time, I use it as a selling point on the nicer carry guns, however outside of work I dont advertise and I try to make a point of not letting anyone know. I guess being a gun salesman makes it a little tougher to keep it a secret.

One of my points exactly. I dont go around telling folks. If they look at what I do at the range, what I teach, how I encourage others when THEY bring up the subject, how I preach about violent society & the right to personal defense,...if they cant figure out that there is probably one under that vest somewhere then let them remain in the dark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts