1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the Sig Sauer Mosquito has one of those [CENSORED] internal locking systems. Is that true? Is Sig putting them in their other guns now too, particularly their P220s? I was thinking about getting a Sig, but if this is true then FORGET IT.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I read somewhere that the Sig Sauer Mosquito has one of those [CENSORED] internal locking systems. Is that true? Is Sig putting them in their other guns now too, particularly their P220s? I was thinking about getting a Sig, but if this is true then FORGET IT.

You got it wrong Kyle, its not the (*&^% Internal Locking System.:crap:

Its the Infernal Locking System...

:hairpull:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
You will have to forget it then because they have always been been using this type of system. The p220 w german I jsut got (which was made sometimes before the berlin wall fell and they dropped the w) has it but I think they work there. When you decock a da/sa you really don't want the hammer to go forward, be knocked forward, unless you pull the trigger. Well, most people don't. Cocked and locked it's useless, but on these guns they work and I have not heard of a problem with them at all. They are (obviously) not a copy of the 1911 firing block safeties. I think anyone that carries a 1911 hammer down without a firing pin block is goofy, but then I pretty much feel the same way about carrying a 1911 hammer down at all.

In other words as much as I dislike firing pin safeties on 1911's/cocked and locked I am not sure I would want to carry a hammer down gun without one.

Mosquito I know nothing about at all.

Here is the schematic, the parts are 38,39 and 40

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=830&m=25&mn=SIGARMS%c2%ae&model=P220+

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sigs have had it from the first on the 1911s a goofy looking 2 pin deal in the slide just like ILS

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's it look like, Bud? I've got a Sig 1911, but I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm curious to see whatever it is on mine.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

the circle with 2 dots right below the rear sight .. according to sig pics your platinum doesn't have it

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I was surprised your didn't have it i went to pics of it first and said hey wait its missing

I thought maybe i was wrong but very next pic i clicked it was there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Naw, I don't mean a firing pin block, that's fine. I mean a keyhole that renders the gun useless. The series 80 is fine, the ILS key lock is the suck. Does the 220 have that?

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
No, they do not Kyle. Just firing pin blocks.

The Sig 1911's do not have a key lock. The circle on the 1911 slide is not ils or a key lock, just a screw with a pin that holds the series 80 stuff in the way the colt internal extractor holds theirs in. You unscrew it and the series 80 parts fall out of the slide. They originally did it that way as they have the external extractor and the internal extractor is not there to hold it in. They have since done away with it and went to the "fake" internal extractor to hold the stuff in.

Sig does, or did have the E.L.P.S. introduced around 1999 as an option or something like that. It was never on their mass produced guns and I have never seen one.

LMAO, I originally said mass produced buns but meant guns naturally.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
My bad jerry thanks for setting it straight on that

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
A lot of people think that, that's what the rumors were and some think they still are key locks. It's hard to know otherwise with the rumors around if you don't have one.:)

Heck, I wasn't even sure on it till I got mine.

The point though is don't worry about it Kyle, it's not there.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I must have been thinking about the PI thread Vic.:)

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Sigs P-Series have always had a drop test safety in all their guns since day 1. The manhole cover as it has been nicked name is Not a key lock Jerry said it like it is.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They could have come up with a better deal than the manhole cover it looks stupid..

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
There was not much thought there, For sure they could have done a neater job.
I noticed my TTT GSR has none but a dummy extractor that looks like a internal one.
They should make one if the external one dies , you can slip in the internal one, now that would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Should have went internal to begin with and not bothered with the external .. but no point in hindsight i guess .. kind of like kimber should have stayed with the internal and not tried external and now back at internal

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I love the external Bud. never had I have had a problem. All my others are internal and I use Wilson bullet proof's. If given a choice I beleive the external will last longer if all conditions are the same.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm Not convinced yet on the Externals .. most are to thin for my taste..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts