1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys get hammer bite on your GI models?

I shoot exclusively thumb high.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Does that hurt, that looks like that hurts.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
No i Haven't Noticed it from mine.. Compared to other Gi models that i have been Bit from

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
is that a 1911 or an A1. My GI has what appears a longer grip safety not allowing the hammer to come back and hit my hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't had any problems, but I have smaller hands. I had more problems with the GI grip safety cutting into my hand.

TM

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
never had hammer bite.

but the GS on both my Rocks were TOO darn sharp at the edges.
Even after rounding the edges a bit, they were still uncomfortable to shoot after 50 rnds or so.

I changed both to a high-ride BTGS

don't have any experience with any other GI config 1911s

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's an A1 in the pic. I am only refering to the Armscor GI guns; RIA, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you, Cap. I can only shoot a 1911 that has a high-rise grip safety more than 50rds. The standard grip safety and Colt's low-rise beaver tail paddle beat my meat hooks mercilessly.

Oh yeah, it does hurt. But in the immortal words of Crazy John, "It doesn't really hurt 'til the bone shows."

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That grip safety looks shorter in the tangs than the one on my GI, before I changed it out. Do you shoot with a high riding hand, or in other words, the gun riding low in your hands?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shoot exclusively thumb high.
So, yeah. I effort to achieve the highest firing grip possible on anything I shoot.
On the other hand, even if one doesn't, many of the Mil-Spec guns produced hammer bite on the old-school (thumb-low) style shooters of the day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont know about the RIs yet, soon to change I hope, but my dads Colts all do that to my hands. Thats why when I do get a RI the first thing that gets changed is the grip safety to the BTGS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know about the RIs yet, soon to change I hope, but my dads Colts all do that to my hands. Thats why when I do get a RI the first thing that gets changed is the grip safety to the BTGS.
Please let me know how this goes. I noticed on another thread that you have your new RIA. How's it so far? Bit you yet?

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Please let me know how this goes. I noticed on another thread that you have your new RIA. How's it so far? Bit you yet?
In two days I have shot 700 rds on my RIA GI and zero hammer bite. It does have a extended grip safety, but not a beaver tail. The grip safety shows minor wear from the hammer hitting it, but it covers the hand well. 3 different big guys including myself have shot it with zero bite.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually, I said on the other thread was that a local dealer had one on the shelf. I was asking everyones opinion if it was a good deal. I would really like to have super but I kind of want to wait for a tactical to come in. I have lots of 45 ammo and no 45 to use it in right now. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY RIA GI does not bite me at all. I love how it sits in my hand. What gun is in your pic? That looks more like a Auto-Ordinance hammer than an RIA?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Neither of my GI`s (RIA and SA) "bite". I have big hands but not all that meaty....just large with long fingers. So maybe I`m lucky. I had planned prior to these purchases to change out to the BTGS if necessary, but it looks like I`m good the way they are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have spent a lot of money on beavertail grip safeties and different hammers. No more! I bought a pair of Uncle Mike's shooting gloves, I figure that $26 for the gloves is cheaper than the beavertail grip safeties etc. Regards, Richard:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts