1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
I have my mother talked into a DAO New Agent. She really likes my New Agent but condition 1 makes her nervous.
This way she can have a New Agent, keep one in the pipe and be comfortable with it.
Don't start in on me by saying "teach your mom that condition 1 is ok". That is not going to happen. She likes her bobbed Ruger SP 101 and this will be an easy transition.

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
The way they should be fitted, tight enough to where it locks up with no slop in battery. Maybe you like barrels that rattle on lockup but I don't and colt has probably the loosest fitted bushings of any I have owned. I'm talking about bushing to barrel fit, that's usually where the slop is, not bushing to slide.

In honesty I have seen two production companies with tight bushings to where I like them and that's sig and Dan wesson. I still like the option of having a bushing to replace if the do send one out loose. Colt I figure on replacing right off the bat.

To each his own Jerry, I was not attacking you just asking a question.
My barrels don't rattle on lock up and if so that may not be a bushing problem but a link or lug problem.
I do not like to have to have a bushing wrench to remove a barrel bushing.
Can you give me the specs on your fitted barrels?

Discussion starter · #29 · (Edited)
What specs do you want? I hand sand the bushing down where it fits the barrel just right. Also, nobody says a bushing can't be finger tight and still lock up the barrel tight. If you are saying all colts have a lug problem, I disagree, they just have very loose tolerance bushings as do many production companies.

You seem to be equating a tight barrel to bushing fit to over tight bushing to slide fit. A bushing can be over tight, wrench tight to the slide and if there is slop between the bushing to barrel in lock up that tightness means nothing. On the other hand a bushing can be finger tight but with no slop to the slide and if the bushing is hand fitted to the barrel it's a tight fit. It has nothing to do with if the bushing is finger tight to the slide or not unless there is slop there also.

Colt bushings, like other production guns, are not hand fitted. They are mass produced and are not fitted as well as they could be. You can get offended by anything said about colts all you want but there are no production bushings fitted as well as a hand fitted bushing, period. I like colts, along with other brands, but I drink the kool aid of NO brand so I look at none of them with blinders on.

I don't think you are attacking me but it sure seems you are insinuating I somewhow equate having to use a wrench to put in a bushing to barrel tightness with the bushing and I assure you I know the difference.

Why don't you poll gunsmiths and ask them how many think they can't fit a bushing better than the production gun companies? That makes me think, there is a local gunsmith (bullseye precision) that does the local shooting clubs guns and all he has is a gunsmith shop, no gun sales. He stays several months behind on work. I don't know how good he is as I do my own work but after I got the xse cdr I had, bought new, I went by looking for a take off gi style thumb safety. I showed him the xse and the first thing he did was check barrel lock up. He said "that's the best barrel lock up I have ever seen on any colt". I said thank you, I fit the bushing.

This lw oacp doesn't look like it has been fired much, the ramp looks like new, but the stock had a lot of slop between it and the barrel on lockup. Now it's very nice with my installed bushing:

http://1911auto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=887

I told you about this 1991, Hunter, it's bushing was so poorly fit I had to change it.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
LMAO, stand by for incoming.

The oacp had the poorest fitted bushing I have seen. Granted it was not a new one when I got it, but I could tell it had not been shot enough to have that much slop. I'm not saying all of colts bushings are "poorly" fit, but some are and even ones that are not poorly fit are not as tight as hand fitted bushings. That is true of most production fitted bushings.

That also does not mean the whole gun is down the drain because of it. It's a 20.00 fix, close to what a trigger (that I also replace) will cost.

I could dig up the hack job barrel fitting pics on my one series 80 and XSE if need be

Yall relax now I am not insinuating anything nor am I saying anything specific, I was merely asking a question that was read into too deep.
Saying no production company can get it as tight as I like it makes me as questions. I wonder what folks deem as adequate and acceptable. I am aware a gunsmith can hand fit a barrel bushing better than a production company as well, I am not an idiot when it comes to the Government Model.
I should be able to ask a question and everybody not jump down my throat assuming I am insinuating anything.
Lets not get on a witch hunt ok?

I agree Hunter, and by the same token legitimate criticisms should be able to be aired no matter who makes the pistol, without it being taken out of context.

Didn't See no one jump down your throat you ask and it was answered and some other brought up the problems they have had i suppose it should be a different thread but were not super strict here

Discussion starter · #37 · (Edited)
Saying no production company can get it as tight as I like it makes me as questions. I wonder what folks deem as adequate and acceptable. I am aware a gunsmith can hand fit a barrel bushing better than a production company as well, I am not an idiot when it comes to the Government Model.
Thin skinned are we?

You admit a gunsmith can fit a bushing better than a production company but you question why I would say production companies can't get it as tight as I like it? You just answered it there yourself, it's not fit as good as it can be and I see no reason to spend 20.00 to get it that way. That is relatively cheap. Maybe you are saying I can't fit a bushing as good as a paid gunsmith?

I agree Hunter, and by the same token legitimate criticisms should be able to be aired no matter who makes the pistol, without it being taken out of context.
I was not defending anyone just asking a question.
The reason I was asking the question is I was trying to figure out what one expects from a Government Model for accuracy.
Many of the Government Models I own the barrel bushing is fitted snug enough to produce 2-3" groups at 50 yards from a rest and easily removed without a wrench. For me this is idea as any more accuracy I could not exploit.
For those who need barrel bushings and pistols fitted tight enough to produce 1" groups at 50 yards can you shoot that good?
In my mind the Government Model is a combat pistol and I do not look for it as a benchrest pistol and all that may come with that such as a 1000 round "break in" or tools for disassemble.
Yes I felt the heat of the lynch mob (so to speak) and I am not thin skinned but when my posts are misconstrued I am adamant about clarification.

As Jerry tried to explain, needing a bushing wrench, is the fit of the bushing to the slide, not the bushing to the barrel, two completely different things so, lets drop that from the conversation. I didn't change the bushing in my 1991 to achieve 1" groups, I changed it because it was so poorly fitted at the factory there was a noticeable gap between the bushing and slide. Nobody, well I'm not anyway, is looking for benchrest accuracy, but a decent fit isn't asking too much in my opinion. Having a properly fit (nobody said super tight) barrel bushing does improve accuracy, even Colt is/was aware of this fact, it was the reason for the collet bushing in the first place.

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
So you don't feel it's needed, that's fine but accept that some do. I personally see it as something well worth the 20.00.

The comparison you are making really makes the point of why the bushing change is good. If you have one that produces 1" groups at 50 yards and I can't hold it to any better than 2" in 50 yards that would be even more exagerated in a gun that can only produce 2-3" in 50 yards. If I do only that good with a 1" group gun then it stands to reason I would be getting 4-6" with a 2-3" gun and even more of a reason for a new bushing. So the new bushing will benefit that shooter also.

Again with the bushing removed without a wrench. Like I said before them having a sloppy barrel to bushing fit DOES NOT mean you need to fit the bushing wrench tight to the slide to tighten it up. It means you have to fit the bushing tighter to the barrel. A bushing can be finger tight in the slide and still not have slop in it. I'm at a loss why you equate a tight barrel fit/lockup with the bushing being wrench tight in the slide.

As Jerry tried to explain, needing a bushing wrench, is the fit of the bushing to the slide, not the bushing to the barrel, two completely different things so, lets drop that from the conversation.
You posted while I was typing, but thank you. I can't seem to get that accross to him.

Look at the nighthawks. Finger tight, but a tight barrel to bushing lockup.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.