1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is now day number 5.....since I had my last cigarette. Woo Hoo!! Over all I`m not doing too bad. The temptation is still there at times, but I`m determined to have another 1911 by X-Mas.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Congrats! Good for you. You kick the habit, you deserve something special. We're all pulling for you. Tracy

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Best of luck. I tried and failed,more than once...

If I had only put all that money towards ammo I'd have a heck of a stockpile,and clean lungs to boot.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
I quite smoking myself I know what it can be like. Then I helped my girlfriend now my wife quite as well. You will find out as a ex-smoker you can't stand to be around them. I am not even going to mention kissing a smoker.:eek: Good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
I quit in 1993 and consider myself a "Former Smoker" (3 pack a day additction when I quit)

I don't call myself an "Ex-Smoker' because it has been my observation that "Ex-Smokers" can't stand to be arround or at the very least see someone smoke.

I on the other hand have not been bothered (for the most part, I do object to children/teens who smoke) by those who smoke. It's their choice. My wife is a smoker and the few times it bothers me, she refrains from smoking. She doesn't smoke in the house but does so on the screen porch...

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I used to smoke 3 packs a day but I quit 27 years ago and am been smoke free ever since. I do still dip and will be trying to quit that soon, MK

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
The Mrs. and I both smoked. She quit first, with me not long after. It was a struggle, but worth it. Now I can't stand someone smoking near me.

Good luck msjdgman. Put a picture of a 1911 in the pocket where you used to keep your smokes and look at it when you reach for a cig. The 1911 will be your reward for bettering your health.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Good Luck to you ms. I quit in the mid 70's while still in the service because of lung problems, I have asthma now and don't get around smokers but i don't like being around them. It's amazing how much your sense of smell and taste clears up after you quit for a period of time.

When I was still working people that had quit or did not work would tell a lady at work how non smokers could always smell smoke on smokers and she said she could not smell anything on herself. She quit later on and her husband did not and she said after here sense of smell cleared up she understood because she could smell it on all of their clothes and everything.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys....I truly appreciate the support. I was REALLY tempted today when I finished helping my old man work on a tractor, and he lit one up. It smelled sooooo good. But I refrained, and told him to get ready for me to be riding his butt beginning when I get back from vacation right after labor day.

The New 1911 I WILL be buying is most likely to be a Springfield Stainless Mil Spec. I just love that classic looking gun. My wife has said if indeed I become an ex-smoker, I deserve to treat myself. What a wonderful woman!!!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I'm at the bottom of this list but I am encouraging you too. Stay after it. I quit in 1972. Didn't smoke as long as some but when I quit I figured out quick that I was really hooked. It was tough but worth every effort. I know my health at my age is better for quitting.
Stay w/ it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good luck on quitting smoking. My motivation for quitting was my two little boys. Didn't want them to learn about it from me. Besides, I didn't like the smell on my clothes and fingers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Here is an update. It`s now 9-going on 10 days smoke free. I had been a 1.5 to 2 pack per day guy for 25 years. Quitting is not easy by any means. But every time I`ve been tempted so far, I`ve resisted the urge.

I finshed up a project last nite that has resulted in an unexpected bonus. Therefore.....I stopped at my local dealer this afternoon, and ordered the Stainless Springfield Mil-Spec I`ve been wanting. Don`t know when it will be in, the distributors couldn`t estimate a date, but my dealer made me a sweet enough deal that I ordered thru him rather than online. Good for him and me. Now the wait begins. Oh well, it will get here sometime, right??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Day #5

Congratulations to you! It is funny how all the members say that they can smell smokers and the smell of smoke bothers them. I quit for good after being in the hospital with a collapsed lung! After that I could smell smoke a mile away and always caught heck for pointing it out. This past spring my niece quit and said how right I was when it came to smelling it on other people and how good food tasted again. Keep it up and you will feel better and your whole world will smell better and taste better too!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update...day 21

It`s now 21 days since beginning the quitting journey. I did break down while on vacation this last week and took 2 puffs of one before throwing it in the fire and cursing at myself. That has been it. I really believe I`m going to make it this time. I even made it thru last nite smoke free at a cookout with 3 chainsmokers within 30-40 ft of me all nite long. That Mil Spec is becoming more of a reality all the time. Since my wife knows that it is ordered with no expected delivery date, she made it clear that I will be a non smoker and stay that way to earn it. I told her...yes dear:notworthy:

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
That's great news! Congrats. You may be over the worst of it, and hopefully it'll be all downhill from now on. You might start thinking of what grips you'll get for that new Springer.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Good job & encouragement flows like a river from all us quitters.:biggrin::wavey:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.