1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to load some 145 gr Glaser Blues in one of my 1911s, a pre 70 series GI model, for home defense. They're rated +P but with the light bullet I'm wondering if I should switch to a 15 - 16 lb recoil spring.

I've never even used ammo this light so no idea if it has sufficient recoil to function reliably in a 1911 even though it's +P ammo. I'll use a few at the range but I don't think that will tell me much - this ammo is a "little" expensive so I'd rather not buy 100 rounds and check for feed/cycle problems.

Any opinions? (I know the use of Glasers/frangible ammo is controversial but that's another discussion.)
Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow up.

On a trip to the range I loaded up a CMC 10 round magazine staggered with rounds of Extreme Shock 185 gr, Glaser 145 gr +p and 230 gr WWB rounds. It cycled fine, in fact I hardly noticed any difference between the lighter bullets and the 230 gr.
The recoil spring used was a new 15 lb Wilson Combat.

Of course this was only a few rounds so no definite conclusions can be drawn, but I can't see why they wouldn't continue function the same as heavier rounds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
USMCMP makes a good point. I am also wondering if the +P glaser will go through dry wall, which is pretty easy to do. If it will then it will not protect others close by very well and if it will not will it penetrate a body with heavy clothing well enough to stop a gun fight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also wondering if the +P glaser will go through dry wall, which is pretty easy to do. If it will then it will not protect others close by very well and if it will not will it penetrate a body with heavy clothing well enough to stop a gun fight.
Check out the "Box o' Truth" web site, if I recall Glasers did well for a reduced penetration round. They will go through dry wall, but what's important is how much energy they have after they penetrate. It looks like they have a considerable amount of power left but possibly less than lethal.

It's impossible to have a suitable round for your intended target and still have a round safe for bystanders, but you can tilt the odds in your favor:
Consider the progressive staging of different rounds for indoor self defense, eg. -- a couple Glasers followed by standard holowpoints. (Golden Saber, Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok etc.)

I use this mode in most of my home defense guns including 12 ga. -- #2 shot followed by #4 buck, followed by three 00 buck. (5 round mag tube) Not as practical for a revolver though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.