1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at ordering the Les Baer Custom Carry with a stainless frame and black slide and also adding their 20 LPI checkered m/s housing. Any thoughts on this pistol? I have never owned or shot a Baer but only hear good things about them.

· Registered
128 Posts
The LB Custom Carry comes in full size and Stinger/4.25" barrel lengths as well as being available in both .45 and .38 Super if I recall correctly.

What are you looking at specifically? I've heard good things about the .38 supers from people I trust.

· Registered
267 Posts
I have used both stainless steel and blued custom carry 5 inch guns. my preference went with the no front cocking serrations on the slide and 20LPI mainspring housing (prefer 30LPI), and single side tac safety, Both ran great and accuracy was better than stated 3 inch at fifty if i diid my part. You cant go wrong on the custom carry.
Picture for your pleasure.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I like it a lot Para, you have exactly my preferences.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am either going to to get the custom carry with a stainless frame and a baer coat black slide with 30 lpi on the main spring housing or the SRP any thoughts on this it will only be about 300 - 400 more to get the SRP. I was also thinking about getting a mag well added to the custom carry but the people at Les Baer told me it is more for competition so I am wondering if it an oversized mag well. Anyone have expereince with Les Baer mag wells?

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't comment on the differences in the custom Carry and SRP but if the pistol is for carry I would not get a magwell. They add significant length to the grip and that is the part that affects concealability most. If I really wanted a magwell for range time I would just get the pistol without it, then get a drop in magwell where you just pull out the MSH and drop it in. Easy to change back and forth.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally on its way!! I have put the finishing touches on my Les Baer order and in 12 to 16 weeks I will be getting a Les Baer Custom Carry with a stainless frame and a Baer coated black slide, 30 LPI m/s housing, and a single side thumb safety. I cant wait. It will be my first Baer that I have owned I have shot them before. It was hard to choose between the Les Baer Custom Carry, Ed Brown Kobra, and the Nighthawk GRP. I feel that I have made the right choice after speaking with people all over the 1911 world. I have many 1911 magazines and am wondering if they will work in the Baer any one have any expereince with this?

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm too late now but I was going to say what V V68 said, if you like it then get the mag well and you can change it out for carry, the bottom line, get it the way you want it. You have made good choices and I like the single safety too. Whenever I can't choose between 2 choices I usually get both so I have a Baer Thunder Ranch 1 1/2" with a mag well and a GRP with checkered rear slide and a T3 mag well on order, glad to have company while I wait. I'm getting used to the idea of waiting and am not banging my head against things so much now. My experience with magazines is that each gun has it's own idea which mags it doesn't like, all will shoot hardball no problem but hollow points can get iffy, I found out the other day that my last Thunder Ranch and my new Custom Carry didn't like the new Wilson Elite mags and Hydra-Shoks at all, I will try again after more break in. Wilson's have been the best for me in the past, Baers work well but can have some sharp edges the need smoothing, my old loose Colts just shoot anything even with Colt mags, they are not as accurate but they go bang every time you pull the trigger, the Baers need over 400 rds to break in or more. When you get your new one take all your mags with you for testing shoot it until it's smooth and you will be happy. Welcome to the Baer owners society.....

· Registered
267 Posts
Great choice on your order. you could have had a second mainspring housing fitted with magwell, not much more in cost, you might still have time to add if you call them. In regards to mags, the Les Baer mags are OK, i find that the springs are a little weak in the initial breakin of your pistol. Make sure your springs in your mags are strong/as new. I went with the Checkmate hybred 7 rd mags for carry, they are great, and no issues. Try to pick up some Wolffs 11 lb mag springs if you get a chance, they will work in the Les Baer mags and have not had any isues in my LBC mags (does not matter 7 or 8rd baer mags, both same size). Brownells catalog will have the mag springs as well as the other springs when needed. cheers.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my Custom Carry. It was hard to wait 22 weeks but well worth it. I got the frame stainless and the slide baer coated black. safety only on the left side and 30lpi checkering on the msh. It shoots like a dream. I couldnt ask for a better 1911. Any one know about their magazines are they durable and hw do they compare to others? Also along the way I have acquired many 1911 magazines does anyone lknow if Les Baer pistols will accept kimber, wilson, colt magazines? I will post pictures when i get a camera.

· Registered
267 Posts
congrats on getting your new CC.
In regards to mags, any full size Gov mag will fit, its just that some will work better than others. Myself and other agents have carried/used Checkmate 7 rd mags with good service. CM-7-S-H-CMF, www.checkmateindustries.com
another good one is tripp mags both in 7rd and 8 rd. I have used them both and are very good. 7R-45-WG, and 8 rd will stick out the bottom like the Baer mags a bit 8R-45-RG. www.trippresearch.com
When your ready for new springs in your Les Baer Mags
(i find the Les Baer Mag springs to be on the weak side for a new LB gun) use the 11 lb mag springs , Brownells.com part number 969-713-730 3 pak, good to have on hand as spares.
hope the above helped. regards.

· Registered
36 Posts
My Custom Carry Commanche handled the supplied Baer, Colt, WC 47D, and Kimber mags (all eight round) with no problems right out of the box. The Colt and Kimber Pro-Tac mags are made by Checkmate.

I shot 450 rounds in two days, then cleaned and started carrying it.

BTW; I bought mine from John at ProLoad (now 1911 Heaven). He stocks a lot of Baers; so no wait (except the second air shipping) and his prices are well below the Baer list prices. I believe he's currently running a special through 1/14/11 on 1 1/2" guns at no extra charge.

The shipping is free.

Take care,

Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.