1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
As the title says. Had it a week. They have a 2 week buy back policy. I'll be calling them tomorrow about returning it. Nice holster, quality seems good, just doesn't fit my "oversize" proportions quite right. Holster overall seems just too big. Tried it at diff locations from3:00 to 5:00. 3:30 was the most comfortable, but still not what I was looking for.

Had a hex head grip screw strip on me and started looking in the Brownells catolog. Found grip screws, SS arched mainspring housing I've been wanting, Commander length G.I. guide rod (to go with the BlindHogg Smiley I got for the LTW Comm) and

MILT SPARKS SUMMER SPECIAL 2 in stock.

Order placed. Can't wait. Initially wanted a VM or SS from Milt Sparks, but didn't want the 20-26 week wait. Tracy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tracy,

I hear you. I bought a Super Tuck last summer, and tried hard, but just didn't like it. Unfortunately, several months had gone by before I realized it just wasn't going to work for me.

The Crossbreed "plant" is about 10 miles from my house. I bought mine face to face from the owner. That's a big part of the reason I was real slow to return it. :redface:

Rod

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a couple of the VMII holsters and they are very good. I couldn't find one to fit the EMP without ordering and I couldn't stand the wait. I ordered a holster from TT leather. It's similar to the VMII. At the time I ordered mine they didn't come with the one-way snaps. A few week after that, Tim started putting them on his holsters. Send him an email asking about buying a new set of loops with the one-way snaps. Tim said he would make me a set and send them to me at no cost. A few days later he sent me an email and said he has an improved process for a holster to retain the pistol and if I'll sent him my holster he modify my holster and put on the new loops. It came in the mail today with the new loops and it certainly retains the weapon better. I know his orders have picked up so is delivery time is probably about a month compared to the two weeks it took to get mine. It's still a great value and still a shorter wait time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Tracy, I picked up a VM II from Allan Yoast. Straight enough deal, so I have no issues with recommending him.
He's at A4t5fan @ wildblue.net.(don't for get to remove the spaces)

He's a dealer for Sparks and gets a batch in from time to time. Might ask him if he has any that will fit your gun?

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trader,

Looked at both the VM2 and SS2 and ended up going with the SS2. Got it in the mail from Brownells (IN STOCK!) yesterday. Reason I went with the SS over the VM was, after looking at both for a while the VM just lokoked like it was "wide" and was going to wrap too far around the body in a similar way that the CrossBreed did. That's one of the things that was uncomfortable to me. SS2 seems immediately more comfortable than the Crossbreed.

But thanks for the info. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Everybody has a little different "shape" to them...the VM II is a little wider for stability. I wear mine with the front loop of the holster right over my hip bone (comes out to about 3:30 for the gun position...on me).

I'm sure that SS will work out fine for you.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, feels good so far. Still experimenting with 3-3:30 wear, but is pretty good either way. One thing I have found is that YOU will know IMMEDIATELY where the sharp edges on your gun are. I've already changed my grips, and dehorned some parts of my mags. Still have a couple of other places to "knock" the edges off of. My LTW Comm is extremely sharp in places, but my (dehorned from the factory) Colt Gunsite is pretty good to go as is. I got the Gov model holster, and am pretty sure that as soon as I get my nites put on the LTW, I'll get a Comm length holster as well. I'm liking this SS2 holster more and more.

My "researching" has paid off. I keep reading about people with a "basket full" of holsters. I've got a Wild Bill's paddle holster for the Gunsite and a Wild Bill's Speed Scabbard for the Comm. Both are OWB. I've now got a SS2 for the Gunsite/LTW Comm and may/prob will add another Comm length for the LTW Comm soon.

That's it! I don't think I need any more. I've got a Fobus and a G-Code for diff comps, but I don't really count those. Fobus was $20 and G-Code was $50 (IIRC) and they don't get worn for any other purpose. I think I've done well with my thought process and purchases. Tracy

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have never tried the crossbreed becauese I'm just not a fan of kydex holseters even if they are attached to leather. I know some like them and to each his own, but I'm a good old fashioned leather guy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am also not a fan of the Crossbreeds. Too much leather in the wrong places and poor finish quality. The original, The Tucker Answer, is my favorite holster of all time. People balk at the price tag, but it's funny that no one who owns one seems to mind at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts