1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball

What do you guys think of this ammo? From what I've read it seems superb, but I'm worried that the combination of FMJ penetration with JHP lethality in a +P package may be overkill.

What do you guys think? Stick with Hornady TAP and Glaser, or try P'RB out for a spin?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the Hornady TAP, its one of my fav's. But if you try the Corbon, please give a report because I have been interested in that ammo myself.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
They are all manstoppers for sure. I prefer MAGTECH S/D ammo because the Air Marshsall's use them because they will stop the threat and not go much further.
Pow-R -ball amm is best for feeding since it is shaped as ball ammo. Tap I have tried good for CQC but is not to accurate.

·
Forum Supporters
51 Posts
Federal HST and +P HST have had some impressive results in real life situations.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Only time i will use power ball is if i have a gun that wont run with Hollow points

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I shot a few into wood, water, and glass...I didn't like the results...Golden Sabres or Gold Dots are much better bullets.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to use PowR'Ball exclusively in carry guns because of their ball profile. Now, all I use is Federal Expanding FMJ. If you haven't looked into this stuff, you should..........

DD

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
They look alot like RNFP bullets, I have read about them but have yet to try them.
Do they only come in +P ammo? I feel if using a .45 you don't need a +P load.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
They look alot like RNFP bullets, I have read about them but have yet to try them.
Do they only come in +P ammo? I feel if using a .45 you don't need a +P load.
I have only see them in +P...and I agree, +P in a 45 is a moot point.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
+p is pretty moot point in anything for my taste

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
What about .38 +p? It's a step up,and my wife likes it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have only see them in +P...and I agree, +P in a 45 is a moot point.
I agree, to a certain extent.... For me, +P is only an improvement as far as power goes in, say, a .38 or a 9mm. In the .45, it's about speed. A velocity increase of nearly 50% can't really hurt to have in a self defense scenario. Sure, it may not make a difference 99% of the time (I've never met anyone who could outrun 900 FPS, anyway) but at a longer distance or a moving target it may help.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Yeah,but the EFMJ and Pow-R-Ball is also a lighter bullet so it may need more velocity to penetrate adequately. A 230 grain round will maintain velocity due to its weight,while a 165-200 grain projectile of the same diameter needs more velocity to penetrate the same amount.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What about .38 +p? It's a step up,and my wife likes it.

i carry plain jane 38's not maybe a 25+P or 380 +P different story

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah,but the EFMJ and Pow-R-Ball is also a lighter bullet so it may need more velocity to penetrate adequately. A 230 grain round will maintain velocity due to its weight,while a 165-200 grain projectile of the same diameter needs more velocity to penetrate the same amount.
Very true. I just remembered that they weren't 230g bullets.... that makes me even more hesitant to buy B'RB. Thanks for reminding me!

i carry plain jane 38's not maybe a 25+P or 380 +P different story
Why not .38+P? For personal defense, it's just a better cartridge, plain and simple. So what do you have against it?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Very true. I just remembered that they weren't 230g bullets.... that makes me even more hesitant to buy B'RB. Thanks for reminding me!

Why not .38+P? For personal defense, it's just a better cartridge, plain and simple. So what do you have against it?
What the point 38 works just fine and has stopped many a bad guys as it is and less wear and tear on the gun .. if you don't shoot a lot fine but i do i see no point in any +P .. Just a personal opinion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, but why not use it when carrying the gun? For practice, normal .38s are great. For carry, not using +P is like using .45 ACP 200g FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
why use a 200 FMJ in a 45 ?? 230 is just fine there is also the increased muzzle blast and recoil if you want something more powerful that is why that make other calibers like 357 magnum or ill just got to a caliber that starts with 4 and ends in 5

or did you mean 230 grain FMJ ammo and hey guess what it worked pretty dang well in ball anyways .. you would be surprised how many handgun bullets turn into ball when they hit Clothes and plug the cavity

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I meant 200g. The point was, if you don't use +P for PD, you aren't maximizing the weapon's potential. Just like you'd be doing if you used 200g ammo in a .45.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Okay, but why not use it when carrying the gun? For practice, normal .38s are great. For carry, not using +P is like using .45 ACP 200g FMJ ammo.

Most .200 grain Bullets are made for target shooting such as SWC or RNFP
bullets. .185 and .165 in some brands are used for S/D but as a personal preferance I prefer .230 grains. All +p rounds will wear out any barrel prematurely, that is why I won't use them except in shooting Pin loads.
I would carry just maybe the first round a +P the rest just .38 plain.
Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts