1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
commander slide on gov't frame

Is it possible? Do you need to do some mods to the frame or slide to do this?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking at having a 1911 made with that configure. The reason is I like the feel of the full size grip and like the 4 1/4 " slide, but don't know if it can be done and how well it would conceal.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Detonics made one like that a few years back...so I'd say its possible.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking at having a 1911 made with that configure. The reason is I like the feel of the full size grip and like the 4 1/4 " slide, but don't know if it can be done and how well it would conceal.
Commanders have the same size grip and essentially the same frame as the Govt, that is why you often see grips advertised as fitting Govt & Commander frames. That part of the frame is the same.

The main cosmetic difference is the length of the dust cover on some models. And, the frame rails on a true Commander slide are also just a hair shorter than on a Govt frame. There may be other small differences as well, but as far as carry goes the frames are equally concealable.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I'm using an Officers slide on a gov't. works fine
I'm sure it does work fine, but I'm also sure that is not within any true build specs. Just because you can do something, and just because it works for you, doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.