Commander sized Remington | 1911 Forums at 1911Talk.com

Commander sized Remington

Discussion in 'Remington 1911' started by GLS_1956, Dec 31, 2012.

1. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

Just got the latest Guns and Ammo. Cover gun is Remington's new Commander sized carry.

4.25 length barrel, Novack style rear sight, and a trijicon front blade.

I'm just about in lust.

2. warbird1

warbird1 Active Member

Love everything but the price!

3. cedarhill

cedarhill New Member

I was lusting for one also and I couldn't resist when I saw one at a good price. Lucky me!

4. majdad93

majdad93 New Member

I fell in lust, too, and finally caved in a few days ago. Price was right, the ratings and reviews were overall favorable, so falling was easy. After factoring in the sales tax, fees and the nice $75.00 rebate I'll have $564 invested in her. The pix were taken moments after I got her home. She's all cleaned up now and ready for the range. Report to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. despy

despy New Member

I recently picked one up intending to add a .45 to my otherwise 9mm carry rotation. I am now about half way through my 500 round break in routine. This is one sweet gun!
    It shoots consistently to point of aim, is quick on target, and so far has yet to stumble in any way.

6. majdad93

majdad93 New Member

I'm with you, Despy. I must say that I am most pleased with the new R1 Commander. First, I fired 50 rounds of Remington UMC 230 grain FMJ without a single hiccup. Next came 50 rounds of Blazer aluminum, same weight, also without a hiccup. Then I fired 50 rounds of Mag Tech, same weight, with one FTFeed. I unloaded it, checked the round all over, then re-loaded it in the same magazine and fired the rest of the box without incident. Lastly, I fired 20 rounds of Remington Ultimate Defense 230 grain BJHP. These, too, fired perfectly.

I shot first from 7 yards, then from 15 yards. The shots grouped nicely and made me look better than I really am. And I really like the large 3-dot sight system. Very easy on my old eyes. There were no mechanical difficulties whatsoever. The stocks remained tightly screwed down, the sights are completely secure and I do believe the single FTFeed was an ammo problem and not the magazine. I've experienced the same thing with Mag Tech .45 ACP ammo in my well-broken-in Colt 1911s. Next trip I'll shoot Federal, WWB, PMC and Herter's 230 grain FMJ. A very pleasant experience over all. The R1 has my highest recommendation!

7. ca survivor

ca survivor Member

can't see because of the glare in the box, but is it a commander size slide with government hammer a grip safety?

8. majdad93

majdad93 New Member

Yes it is, CA Survivor. You are exactly correct. My apologies for the pic. It was an on-and-off sunshiny day when I snapped it, hoping the outside light would enhance things. Remington writes that the R1 was new in 2011 in commemoration of the 100th year of M1911 production. It's largely based on the original M1911 with a few mods, such as the three dot sights, lowered & flared ejection port and stainless match-grade barrel. The full size model has the 5" barrel, whereas the Commander has a 4 1/4" barrel. Both have a 7+1 ammo capacity, but otherwise they're mechanically identical. I like it a lot. It's a tight, reliable pistol and makes me look really good at the range. Try one if you get a chance!