1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

comanche feeding fix

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
having read a few forums and hearing a number of people , including myself, having feed and reliability problems with comanche length pistols i have found the fix. actually terry tussey told me about it and performed the fix on my pistol. on the comanche length pistols the slide does not come back far enough to allow the rounds in the magazine time to come up. the slide barely clears the back of the magazine. kind of like a 5 inch gun with a thick shock buff. he cut the frame rails back so the slide comes back as far as a 5 inch gun. after a trip back to baer and it still nosedived i went to terry tussey and he fixed it so it will feed with any of my mags and any ammo i have put in it. hope this helps.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum...
The slide does come back far enough for the round to come up. But you are right that the slide travel is shorter on Baer's Commanche length pistols.

If its a problem it can be fixed by changing a few springs around...the shorter slide travel makes them finicky...the timing has to be just right. The slide on my Stinger comes back far enough that I can see the disconnecter...there is about 1/10th of an inch difference in Baer's design and Colts.

Why all this you ask???

Because Baer builds some very strong frames...there is more metal in them.

Other people have had theirs "fixed" as you did...and there is nothing wrong with having it done that way...but there are simpler fixes....I fixed mine myself...$38 for a spring kit from Wolff.

#3 ·
First, welcome.

Terry Tussey knows his stuff and does beautiful work. Personally, I've never had problems with 4.25 inch guns. Although don't have a Commanche, I have several Nighthawks that size. I have had problems with 3 inch guns. I do know that shorter 1911 variants can be tricky.

Glad you were able to get it fixed.

#4 ·
Its Actually because the Frames used on the 4 1/4th guns are the same frame he uses on the 5" there is a difference if you look at colts.. I don't have a problem with mine so i cant say much more than that

And are you sure he didnt cut back the frame bed not the rails

#5 ·
Its Actually because the Frames used on the 4 1/4th guns are the same frame he uses on the 5" there is a difference if you look at colts..
Yep

#6 · (Edited)
And are you sure he didnt cut back the frame bed not the rails
The area where the guide rod seats has to be "moved" back, which means that you have to shorten the frame rails.

EDIT: I'm no gunsmith but I think it could also be done by lengthening the rails in the slide...but that would probably weaken the slide considerably...to my knowledge nobody has done it this way...its just something I thought of one day while I was reading a thread on this same subject on 1911forum.

#7 ·
The area where the guide rod seats has to be "moved" back, which means that you have to shorten the rails.

EDIT: I'm no gunsmith but I think it could also be done by lengthening the rails in the slide...but that would probably weaken the slide considerably...to my knowledge nobody has done it this way...its just something I thought of one day while I was reading a thread on this same subject on 1911forum.
Thats what i call the frame bed Im sure its called something else but thats what i call it

#8 ·
LOL...I don't know what the proper term is either, so I described it the best I could...I thought that may be what you were talking about.

#9 · (Edited)
on mine you couldnt begin to see the disconnector. before i had it worked on it got better after about 1500 rds but not 100%. obtw now it has a stealth comp and recoils like a soft nine where as before it felt like i pulled the trigger too hard.;)

also years ago a friend had some property between fiddletown and volcano. i used to love to camp and shoot there. i havent been up that road in twenty years. my gunsmith is just out of sutter creek . i think ill take the scenic route next time.

#10 · (Edited)
on mine you couldnt begin to see the disconnector.
WOW...new one on me...Friday gun maybe??? (or first thing Monday morning)

I wish you had some pics of it...before the work was done that is...or do you???

I'd like to see a pic of it with the slide locked back...looking down through it from the top.

#13 ·
#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.