1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've heard this complaining ever since Stoner offered the M16.
Congress is always trying to tell the military what to buy and how to use what they buy - then complain about it!

The Army seems to like the M4... and doesn't agree with the criticism -
U.S. military officials don't agree. They call the M4 an excellent carbine. When the time comes to replace the M4, they want a combat rifle that is leaps and bounds beyond what's currently available.
Gen. Keys had this to say in the article...
William Keys, Colt's chief executive officer, says the M4 gets impressive reviews from the battlefield. And he worries that bashing the carbine will undermine the confidence the troops have in it.

"The guy killing the enemy with this gun loves it," says Keys, a former Marine Corps general who was awarded the Navy Cross for battlefield valor in Vietnam.
And I believe the article was correct in it's assertion...
..the military has a poor track record for getting high-quality firearms to warfighters. Since the Revolutionary War, mountains of red tape, oversize egos and never-ending arguments over bullet size and gunpowder have delayed or doomed promising efforts.
The guns being considered are good, no doubt about it.
H&K XM8

FN Herstal's SCAR

and the H&K 416

But the Army requires a weapon for the least common denominator and they have it in the M4. Sure it will jam and malfunction if it's not kept clean, but so will almost any other weapon - except the AK.:rolleyes:

It's going to be quite a while before the M4 is replaced.
Just more 'Colt Bashing' in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I agree that it will take a while to replace the M16/M4...but I also think that this is the beginning of the end....within the next few years there will be a new service carbine.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The Xm8 is dead .. and the Scar is seeing some usage i hear

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i think we should go back to M1 Garands and Bars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts