1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though a thread on Colts chambered in Super .38 might be a good idea.
I started shooting, reloading, and then casting for the Super a few years back and my love affair was born.
Though factory ammunition is somewhat anemic the Super really shines at the reloading bench.
Beginning in 1929 the .38 Automatic was improved upon into the Super .38 Automatic then just the Super .38 (as I understand the story). I have really begun to like the round.
Here are my 3 Supers. Colt Special Combat Government, Colt Series 80 Gold Cup Elite (A Gold Cup National Match), and 1991 (NRM).

Though this is not mine she has a nice home at the Hartford State library.
Serial number 1 Colt Super .38. I offered to check it out for the library staff but they told me it was taken care of.:biggrin:

·
Registered
160 Posts
What do you know- I was just thinking about stirring up a 38 Super thread a couple of days ago.
Or, Super 38, if you prefer (Colt has used both names, so I do too).

I don't have that much experience with the round, but I liked it from the first time I heard about it. That was probably from reading a Skeeter Skelton story about some south of the border trip to either chase criminals, trade guns, or both.

I got my first one about ten years ago. It was an ex-IPSC gun with a compensator. I wasn't shooting IPSC then, but I got it for a deal since it was a dinosaur in that sport due to not having a red dot sight and was "only" a single stack frame.
But it was fun to shoot groundhogs with and I did start shooting a little IPSC with it.

I had always wanted a "regular" Colt 38 Super for a carry gun or just to play around with, but didn't get one until last year. Actually, I got two within a few days. I bought a new production stainless Gov't and a mid-90's blued Enhanced Gov't.
Shown here with the grips they came to me with:

I really like the idea of the 38 Super as a carry gun, but can't quite make myself do it. I either stay with the big .45, or go with my slightly smaller 13+1 Browning HiPower as I see some of the arguments for both ways- big bullets or lots of bullets. The 38 Super should split the difference and then some, but I just go to one extreme or the other.

CorBon's 125 grain bullet 38 Super loads run around 1350 fps in my guns, just as they claim. The .357 Mag 125 JHP is roundly praised as a fight-stopper, and when I've chronographed it in 4" barreled revolvers, it runs around 1380 fps, which doesn't beat the CorBon 38 Super by a whole lot. The idea of carrying 10+1 rounds (or almost two revolvers-worth) of that load in a 1911 sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh, and I looked at a new LW Commander 38 Super in the gunshop about two weeks ago.
It was one of the niftiest guns that I have seen in a while.
So I have stayed out of there since.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Very nice i have Craved a Special Combat in Super 38 but don't think it will happen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bud I think you would like the SCG. For me it was a little pricey but I have no regrets. It is a pleasure to shoot and I am thinking on trying it out in IPSC.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Maybe this year i am running out of stuff on my List.. I have about everything i want .. if i coudl shoot more than just paper with it i would have one all ready

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very nice collection Hunter!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you AutoMag. I took me a while to find the Gold Cup Elite and I paid a little too much for it.
Bud what is more fun than paper to shoot at (besides maybe steel)?
I have been trying to talk myself into using the 1991 as a carry pistol but factory Super .38s are on the weak side and there is that whole "carrying reloads for self defense" debacle.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Steel for sure ..

i hear ya on AMMO i still figure a good shoot is a good shoot..

Corbon makes a Super 38 load
38 SUPER AUTO+P
115 GR. JHP
1425 FPS
519 FTLBS
SD38X125/20
38 S

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Or
125 GR. JHP 1325 FPS/487 FTLBS

Nothing truly super but not shabbie

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Very nice Swampthing I want to know why colt wont make run of the cool stuff again .. while plain jane is nice i find their model selection lacking .. If they made more i might not have bought anything else

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good question Bud,, Maybe they are tryng to corner the retro and nostalgia market ? I would like to see more of the other stuff also. Maybe a 9mm or a 40 again.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
9mm a 10mm heck a 10mm 40 combo.. While i do under stand the Nostalgia Market i think they are doing themselves a disservice and being short sighted same thing that cost them in the 80's and allowed Kimber and springfield to take over a lot of their market share

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
And why wont that get rid of the God Awful Duckbutt they call a beavertail.. hell put a regular Spur Grip safety on instead.... Ok ill stop now

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I got the Brown Paper bag right here

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man I leave for a few and this thread went to hell in a hand basket. :biggrin:
I do like the "duck bill" beavertail myself and I like the retro market better than where Kimber and Springfield is now.
Nice Combat Elite Swampthang, how is everything with the family?
As far as 9mm and .40 S&W, no thanks.
Make mine a .45 Automatic or Super .38 in a Government Model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do like the "duck bill" beavertail myself and I like the retro market better than where Kimber and Springfield is now.
Every thing is good my friend, Im still shooting the super 38 cases you sent me btw

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Yeah, but you're biased Hunter. :biggrin:

You have to be the only person around that likes their grip safety. :wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts