1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a Colt Officers Model series 80 MKIV Enhanced worth? I have a guy that want's to trade me a chromed one for an RPK 47 I have about 600 in with drum mag and all. The Colt looks like it has a few scuffs at the end of the barrel end of the slide. Can scratches be buffed out of chrome finish?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
If it's chrome or nickel plated, it's not factory, it's most like bright stainless steel, what Colt called the "Ultimate Finish."

This is a 1988 Colt MK IV Government Model in the Ultimate Finish, to give you a reference point.

6 bills isn't a great price, but it's not bad either, the Ultimate Finished pistols are gaining value fairly quickly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the pistol has the Ultimate finish and not chromed, the scratches most likely could be buffed out - if they're not too deep!
If it's chrome plated, it will need to have the plating removed and then re-plated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is emailing me more pics today, it does look like the ultimate finish. Nothing that I can tell has been done to the gun. The gun has a flat top slide, the colt duck bill beavertail from the enhanced models, solid trigger and small three dot sights. I was told the "scratches" were just scuffs and not into the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Certainly does sound like an "Enhanced" model in bright stainless, scuffs should not be difficult to polish out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will post pics when and if I get it. I'm picking up a Stainless Springfield GI this weekend as well. That will give me 5 1911's, it's a start. :thinking:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
That's an excellent start.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
5 being a START, then I am still in the locker room. Only 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Skinny on Enhanced

The Enhanced Version of the Officers was first produced in 1992 and all Officers were discontinued in 1996 (replaced by the Defender). I just sold an enhanced officer's in standard stainless for $850 and I felt that was a little low (Probably should have gotten more).

Here's what the “Enhanced Version†had right from the factory:
Lightweight skeletonized hammer
Gold Cup slanted cocking serrations
Finger relief cut under trigger guard
Flat topped (ribbed) slide
Beveled magazine well
Beaver tail grip safety
Black nylon extended trigger
Throated barrel
Cutaway and flared ejection port
Colt rubber wrap around grips by 'Radical Grips' (slim)

Here's what I added:
Smith & Alexander Mag Guide
Pachmyr mag bumpers
Hogue finger swell wrap around grips
Extended fixed rear sight
Skeletonized Aluminum Trigger

Here's what mine looked like:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Stock;

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's it, the stock version, I'm going to let the guy know tonight that I want it. Thanks for everyones input, it helped make my decision.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What's a Colt Officers Model series 80 MKIV Enhanced worth? I have a guy that want's to trade me a chromed one for an RPK 47 I have about 600 in with drum mag and all. The Colt looks like it has a few scuffs at the end of the barrel end of the slide. Can scratches be buffed out of chrome finish?
Sounds like you will be getting the better end of this deal...

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made the trade this morning and haven't been able to shoot it yet. The safety is a little gummed up but other than that it looks to be in decent shape.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'm sure a detail strip will tell the tale.
Looking forward to the range report!
:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
That should clean-up, Jo.
Congrats.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Congrats, looking pretty good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What should I polish it with? I want to try to get some of the surface scuffs out and I don't want to ruin the finish trying this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts