1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Series 70 with satin nickel finish. The finish is good and not scratched or nicked but it looks really dirty and discolored. Does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning satin nickel. I tried acetone which made it look a little better but its still dirty.

Thanks

Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't laugh! I have stripped the slide, used very hot water, and..............................

...........................toothpaste and a toothbrush! Go ahead....laugh at my first post! :rofl: It works.

The hot water heated up the slide a little and it dries quickly, and of course, lube well after. It will look like new.

Some has said that a very light, gentle bead blasting works for scuffed up satin nickel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't laugh! I have stripped the slide, used very hot water, and................toothpaste and a toothbrush! Go ahead....laugh at my first post! :rofl: It works.
I am not surprised at all. In fact, I would try that first. I have used toothpaste to shine up jewelry, barrel ramps, watch crystals, and many other things. It is a very light abrasive and works great when used with caution.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Toothpaste is very good for polishing stuff. In the navy they used tabasco sauce to polish brass on the messdecks and kool aid was put in the water tanks under the serving trays to keep the copper pipes (with hot water going through them them) shiny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.