1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What drives people to do this???:confused::mad:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391786,00.html

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — A man wielding a shotgun entered a church and opened fire as congregants watched a youth performance Sunday, killing one person and injuring eight others, police said.

The gunman was tackled by church members and eventually taken into police custody. None of the children were injured. A hospital spokeswoman said five of the wounded were in critical condition.

Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen identified the man killed as Greg McKendry, 60, a longtime church member and usher at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church.

"It appears Mr. McKendry was the first person he (the gunman) encountered when he walked into the sanctuary," Owen said. "It's going to be a while before all the facts are cleared up."

A church member who arrived moments after the shooting said the gunman fired three times and was tackled. Steve Drevick said he spoke to several eyewitnesses and that no one at the church recognized the gunman. He did said the gunman had more ammunition on him.

Officials wouldn't say exactly how many people helped subdue the gunman.

"It was a large group and we are thankful for them for without it, this situation could have been even worse," Mayor Bill Haslam said.

There were about 200 people at the time of the shooting watching a youth performance being put on by 25 children.

Church member Marty Murphy told The Knoxville News Sentinel that she was about 30 to 40 feet from the shooter when the rampage began.

"We heard the first shot," she said. "It sounded like a bomb went off. We thought it was part of the program at first."

She said church members dove under church pews and others ran out the sanctuary.

Murphy told the newspaper some of the children were close to the shooter when the attack began.

"One little girl had blood all over her," she said. "She was just hysterical. I don't know how that girl is going to sleep tonight."

Another witness told the newspaper that the man killed was a hero.

"Greg McKendry stood in the front of the gunman and took the blast to protect the rest of us," Barbara Kemper said.

Police had cordoned off the church with yellow and red tape, and were taking statements and collecting video cameras from church members who were taping the performance. Owen said the FBI also was assisting in the investigation.

The church's minister was on vacation in western North Carolina at the time of the shooting but returned Sunday afternoon.

"We've been touched by a horrible act of violence. We are in a process of healing and we ask everyone for your prayers," the Rev. Chris Buice said in a statement outside the church.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just wish people would quit using guns to do this...it makes us all (gun owners) look bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i may be the exception here, but, i do believe there is evil in this world. it may come from drug use, the desperation of a situation made by the individual or just plain bad, evil people. there is no good, even deep down in some people. liberal thinking people fail to realize this and think everyone can be "modified' . if they had to admit evil, they would have to admit to there being a good {read that God}. the child that was missing 31 days before her mother called police is just another example. that woman has issues only a lethal injection will cure. some much for posting a quick reply, sorry but, kids are one subject i get a bit testy about. shooting in a church {with kids inside} is as bad. public hanging may be too good for them

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
God bless the heroes who stopped this piece of trash. May Mr. McKendry rest in peace,and a speedy recovery to the injured. And may the shooter get what he deserves,one way or another.

I say take him out back and make it quick and painless,but perhaps my heart does not bleed as much as those who are more enlightened on human nature? :rolleyes:

I can't tell you how pleased I am that they tackled this animal,and didn't just hide and hope they weren't next. Kudos.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Here is a preacher that hopes they change it too.
Texas has some work to do in the schools area but Churches are right.
Only a few that I know of are posted properly to keep carry out.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I have read the laws, and reread them, it does not specifically say thats its illegal to carry in church. It says that you can not carry in assemblies where you pay admission, protests or parades. It says nowhere that you cannot carry in church in NC. I thought so too. So I researched it pretty heavily. Now what will get you is if the church has a school. Mine does, so that nixes me.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The dumbest thing possible is to outlaw carry in places like this so that only the bg's can carry in them. It's pretty clear though the guy was a hatemonger in the latest updates on this.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
i may be the exception here, but, i do believe there is evil in this world. it may come from drug use, the desperation of a situation made by the individual or just plain bad, evil people. there is no good, even deep down in some people. liberal thinking people fail to realize this and think everyone can be "modified' . if they had to admit evil, they would have to admit to there being a good {read that God}. the child that was missing 31 days before her mother called police is just another example. that woman has issues only a lethal injection will cure. some much for posting a quick reply, sorry but, kids are one subject i get a bit testy about. shooting in a church {with kids inside} is as bad. public hanging may be too good for them
I totally agree.:frown:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You are not the exception, there is evil in this world...and its not drugs or desperation that causes it. Evil has been around longer than drugs.

Live and let live...whenever possible.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Evil is among us, it has been since the beginning of man. The problem is the brainwashing of the multi millions of people to believe that all men are good, and therefore we need not worry about protecting ourselves. "We can let the police do that"........NOT. Even a shepherd who tends to his flock must also at times protect them. My heart goes out to the victims of this cowardly act.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.