1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good inexpensive chronograph?

I was pin shooting yesterday and was having some reliability probs with my +P load. The same 255 lswc that I've used for 5 yrs (same oal, but diff powder charge). I need to find out velocities, not just guess and go by the manual's reported (from test bbls) velocities.

For yrs I used a 255 lswc 4.2-4.5 of Unique at 1.185 oal. and got 100% reliability. They worked ok on pins, but was getting occassional (less than perfect hits) not taking the pins off the table with authority.

Upping the charge to 5.0 (Makes +P according to some manuals) hits with authority, but I'm getting an unacceptable level of FTFeed---Bullet goes up the ramp and jams against the top of the chamber.

Gun is a Colt Gunsite setup to handle the hot loads---Egw flat bottom firing pin stop w/ no radius, 25# mainspring, 18/20# recoil spring, Sprinco recoil reducing guide rod. Brass is still going 15+'

Need some suggestions on a chrono and whatever thoughts/comments/suggestions on my pin load. Thanks, Tracy

Mods move this if its in the wrong place.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Check your mags as it sounds like you are getting 3 point jams

Can't help with the Chrono i have only used a borrowed one and couldn't even tell ya what it was anymore

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be mags, but I'm leaning towards ammo power, mainly due to brass ejection distance. Meaning slide velocity is really launching them and gun "timing" is off.

Another reason I'm leaning towards ammo power factor is that the same ammo in my comped longslide is 100% reliable and slide velocity/brass ejection is radically different. Same ammo is only throwing brass 6-10', and slide is noticeably slower (prob due to extra weight and comped bbl).

Had 8 diff mags with me and it did it with several diff mags. Replaced mag springs with extra power springs about 6 months ago (though I haven't shot the gun in over 3 months)---I consider the mag springs in "new" condition. Could be the mag lips are starting to deform since many of the mags have several yrs on them. But several are also new since I bought them at the gunshow last Aug.

A lot of variables. That's why I'm asking for suggestions/help. Thanks, Tracy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yeah i missed the 15foot + ejection go with a stronger recoil spring but you might be at the point you will have to lower the load to get it reliable ..

I see ya have a heavier main spring and Flat FPS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tracy,

I started out with the basic Chrony about 10 yrs. ago. It always worked fine, but having the velocity readout at the chrono, and having to manually record each shot became tiresome. I upgraded thru Chrony to a Beta Master with a remote readout and a built-in computer that saves six 10-shot strings, and displays the high, low, average, extreme spread, and standard deviation for each string. Chrony gave me a credit for my old Chrony on the upgrade. My upgraded Chrony has worked fine for the last 4-5 years, and I'm totally satisfied with it.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bud,

I started with a #18 yesterday and then changed to a #20 and virtually no diff in results.

I didn't mention earlier that I also ran a near max/max load of 4.7 American Select w/230 lrn load that was 100% reliable. I just like my 255 for pins, but I guess I'm going back to the drawing board for my 5" gun pin load. I'll keep the hot stuff soley for the comped longslide. Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Retired Rod,

What kinfd of $$$ am I looking at for the base model & the upgraded one?

Where can I find/buy them? Thanks, Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ridge, Another couple of suggestions and I'll be ready to do something. Just got my Sinclair International catologue. They list 2 chrono's---Shooting Chrony's & CED M2 Chrono. The CE ProChrono from Midway sounds like the best deal so far. Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked in Brownells & Midway. The one Ridge listed looks like the best deal. Prob order it this wek. Thanks. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Tracy,
it sounds to me like you need a stiffer recoils spring (you probly knew that) and stiffer mag springs, and I mean waaay stiffer mag springs.

What type of mags are you using???

What I'm getting at is this...my Stinger was having the "bolt over base" jams with factory springs...I'm using extra power springs for a full size mag in officers mags...I had to do this to get the little Stinger to eat the high powered stuff. A stiffer recoil spring will fix your ejection issues...and the stiffer mag springs will keep the timing right.

EDIT: Another I'm sure you probably already know....a more "abrupt" firing pin stop will slow the slide down on the way back...but doesn't do anything to slow it down going back into battery.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ridge,

I'm running a #20 recoil spring so I'm not sure that a 22 or 24 would make too much more difference Plus the Sprinco recoil reducing guide rod.

I got the Wolff extra power mag springs some months ago and that fixed some previous mag issues with regular power ammo. I'm using a combo of mags----Wilson, CMC Power mags, Springfield Armory bought 10 rd'ers and there was no rhyme or reason when it would happen. Also using a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop w/ no radius.

I think my ejector may need a little fine tuning to get ejection placement of brass consistant.

A little while ago I was looking over the prob ammo and got out my calpers. I think I found my FTfeed probs. I always used to use 1.175 as my OAL. These were closer to 1.190. I know that this particulat bullet is oal sensitive, and needs to be REAL short. My longslide never had those oal issues, just the Gunsite. Maybe the slower slide action of the longslide compensates for this better. I'm going to load some more of this powder charge and shorten them up to the 1.175 OAL and see how they do. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
OOPS... I totally missed the part about you having an EGW firing pin stop in it.

When it misfeeds...is the round under the extractor hook??? or is it under the slide???

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not under the extractor hook, kinda like it got out of the mag lips and pushed to the feed ramp, but didn't get under the hook and jams laying on the feed ramp with the bullet lodged up against the chamber roof. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Yep...the slide is outrunning the mag. You definatly need stiffer mag springs.

And does your brass eject sorta out in front of you???

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, that's about the only place it doesn't go. RO says it goes up about 15' and then lands about 6' from me, goes out straight to the right 15+', and sometimes towards 5 o'clock the same distances.. Forward is the only place it doesn't go.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
OK...I was just wondering if the slide was batting the brass...making them go so far.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No "dings" in the brass that I can see. The brass is getting out of the ejection port. It's just hitting the ejector with a lot of velocity. Tracy.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm no gunsmith...but I think stiffer mag springs and some ejector and extractor tuning might fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I moved this to reloading...I thought it would fit in better here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts