1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was considering getting a SW 1911 Gunsite edition and went to a local gun shop to have them order me one. While I was there, the owner showed me that he had a Colt commander that had been customized at Gunsite by the smith there, so I ended up buying that instead.

A couple of months ago, my Brother and I attended an off site Gunsite course at a local sheriff's office. The rangemaster, and Sheriff, let me use his gun during a couple of drills while he worked on my Colt (it was not wanting to release magazines without a fight). Anyway, he uses an SW 1911 Gunsite edition as his carry gun and I enjoyed shooting it for a couple of drills (it even had "Sheriff" engraved on one side of the grips and a gold star inlaid on the other side).

After class was over, my Brother decided to get a .45 1911 (as his is a 9mm). He decided to order the SW 1911 Gunsite...what I didn't know was that he ordered two of them and that one was a gift to me. I have not yet had a chance to shoot it, just to field strip and clean it. The gun looks good but was not the smoothest 1911 (when manipulating the slide etc.). During the initial cleaning, I noticed what looked like little pieces of steel wool or small metal filings in a few areas. I cleaned those out and lubed the gun. I am hopeful that it will smooth out a bit with some shooting.

I really like this gun especially because it reminds me of the training class my Brother and I went through and the good times we shared during that process. Here are some pics

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Congratulations!

Those are great pistols, I'm looking seriously at them currently.

You have a great brother too!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks great, I am going to have to get one of those..right after I find the money to attend one of their classes...though I did add the brass bead to my SW1911PD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been a Kimber guy for several years, but I picked up a S&W Gunsite Edition last week.

So far; no malfs of any sort, and the fit and finish are quite good. I'd recommend the pistol to anyone who's interested in getting one.

Take care,

Rick

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree Rick, they are a great option for people looking for a lightweight carry-friendly gun. Mine had hiccuped a few times on HP ammo, but has fed FMJ without incident. I haven't gotten to put as many rounds through it as I'd like, but overall, it's impressed me.

And, welcome to the site Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one of these... It has been a great shooter and hasn't given me any problems at all with Hydra Shoks, Gold Dots or a variety of half a dozen or so different ball ammos. The only complaint I have is that the grip safety is not fit really well and rattles a bit. Anyone know if there is a fix for this? I am kind of new to 1911's and only have a Colt series 70 and the Gunsite Smith (sold my XSE).

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I was to buy a SW1911, the Gunsite would be THE one! Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Really cool, both Brother & the pistol congrats!
N.D.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice Christmas present.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of the things i think they could have done with this model (because of the high cost) is night sights, forget the foolish gold bead that isn't going to do anything for you in dim to no light - First thing you should do is install some NS...

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
A gold bead is far from foolish, they do work in low ambient light.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well; I still have the S&W Gunsite; but have sold all of the Kimbers but one (Ultra CDP II that was a 20 Anniv. present from the wife) to friends, and replaced them with Colts.

A year later; that Gunsite is showing NO finish wear and zero malphs. It has a serial # of less than 100 which should make it a Performance Center pistol.

Take care,

Rick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.