1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two new Power mags from Chip McCormick, and they don't work with the DW CBOB. There is an interaction with the slide stop that won't allow the slide to close on an empty mag, and the slide won't retract with an empty mag inserted.
Any suggestions? I've sent an e-mail to Chip about the matter, but I thought some input from DW owners may be helpful.

Jeff

I'd read about the endless 1911 idiosyncracies concerning mags, and apparently it's true, Bummer!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The follower in the magazine is designed to push the slide stop upwards when the magazine is emptied, which in turn keeps the slide open on an empty mag. That is what it was designed for.
As for preventing the slide from being opened, that sounds as if there is a problem, but I can't see the mag doing that, unless the follow is way out of spec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both new mags function (or fail to function) the same, the follower is free to flop forward, as opposed to the DW mag that came with the gun. The DW follower is like a good AR mag, in that it moves only up and down, no tilt at all. The CM mags are considerably weaker in spring tension, and the follower tilts a lot. I wish I had read up on these before I bought them!

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the latest...Apparently the PowerMag Plus is the one for the DW1911.
The plus model has a no-tilt follower. That looks like it will be the answer, as the nosediving follower is what was screwing up the works. I can't for the life of me think of a reason to build a mag with a floppy follower, but I'm a newbie in the 1911 world. All my other semi-auto pistols work fine with every mag I've tried.

Mailed the two mags to Chip for exchange.

Jeff

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's not supposed to close on an empty mag, that's the 1911 design. The mag follower contacts the slide stop and holds it up. If your other mags aren't doing that, they're a problem. I don't like McCormick's split followers either. They've damaged many aluminum feed ramps being able to slide forward from the tube, but they're doing their job holding the slide open!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I get what you're saying, and I understand that, but you can't even pull the slide stop down to release the slide. And if the slide is forward, you can't pull the slide back. It's effectively jammed in whatever position, open or closed, that it's in. You should be able to take the pressure off the slide and operate the slide lock, but it can't be done. With the CM Power Mags, the follower is allowed to rock way forward and jam the slide lock action. The Plus version addresses this problem, and they're going to send me those mags. This is apparently a peculiarity of the "non-+" mags and the DW.
The DW mag included with the gun locks back as designed, but the slide will release with activation of the slide lock lever. I just thought 19.95 for a CM mag on special from MidwayUSA was too good to pass up. Live and learn!

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the PowerMag Plus mags in short order from CMC.

They work flawlessly. Both mags with any ammo I put into them.

It was the floppy follower causing the problem.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.