1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stainless Ultra Carry II in 9mm is reaching the round count where I will need to change the recoil spring.

My dealer sold me a package containing a set of three springs called 9mm, Compact. I do not believe this is the correct spring for my Ultra Carry because it is much longer then the spring in my gun.

I went onto the Kimber web site and they do list a set of three springs for the 9mm Ultra, but then also list what they call the outer coil spring, so that I am now confused as to what I need to change the recoil spring in my gun.

Can someone please tell me what I need to get to change the recoil spring in my 9mm Ultra Carry, and if there is a video around that demonstrates how it is done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not positive but I believe the set of springs for a "Compact" fit a pistol with a 4" barrel but has the shorter frame like on your Ultra carry. Your Ultra carry has a 3" barrel so the set of springs he sold you are most likely the wrong ones. If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me......Ron

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
New springs are always longer than used ones...That said, I'm not familiar with 3 inch 1911's...so I don't know if you got the right springs or not.

·
1911 Forum Supporter
21 Posts
Lokk at the pre-assembled recoil springs and rods. The Ultra Carry ll,s need to have the part replaced as an assembled package. You can buy the springs , but the package is much easier, and the recoil rod usually needs replaced anyhow. Usually about 2500 rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get some Wolff springs and return those. I usually change all my Kimber and Sig's with them and have never been unhappy.

"It's God's job to forgive Osama Bin Laden. It's our job to arrange a face-to-face meeting." Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Wolff springs are great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Stainless Ultra Carry II in 9mm is reaching the round count where I will need to change the recoil spring.

My dealer sold me a package containing a set of three springs called 9mm, Compact. I do not believe this is the correct spring for my Ultra Carry because it is much longer then the spring in my gun.

I went onto the Kimber web site and they do list a set of three springs for the 9mm Ultra, but then also list what they call the outer coil spring, so that I am now confused as to what I need to change the recoil spring in my gun.

Can someone please tell me what I need to get to change the recoil spring in my 9mm Ultra Carry, and if there is a video around that demonstrates how it is done.

Thanks.
My Wolff set of three replacement springs for my Ultra is labelled "for professional installation" and I don't think such replacement is for the faint hearted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Compact models use the same springs as the Pro's.

You're correct in observing that the recoil spring is way too long.

Kimber sells a set of two springs for the ultras; and you can change just the outer spring.

They used to offer a service of changing out the springs in your Ultra recoil assembly for a nominal fee; but I've seen posts indicating they no longer do so.

The recoil assembly is @ $46.00, and I'd recommend that you get one.

I had a five year old one break recently, and Kimber sent me a free replacement.

Take care,

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.