1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this pistol on Feb. 22. My first oppurtunity to shoot came about a week after I picked it up. Before ever shooting it, I was sure that this was the end all, be all of pistols.

The fit on this pistol is excellent. The only portion that could possibly be improved is the MSH which is not fully blended to the frame. The grips are both beautiful and functional. That bobtail seems to sink right into my hand and the large safety lever locks back a nice hammer with minimal effort and a positive engagement.

The cocking serrations are both mean as hell and perfectly done. You will NOT lose your grip on the slide, nor will they rip your manicured phalanges up. The checkering on the front strap is like velcro on your hand. It is much like the other serrations already described. It is rough feeling, but when you shoot, it is a blessing.

To say that the guys and gals at Dan Wesson can polish a throat and or ramp is akin to saying Ansel Adams took nice pictures. After my wife reapplied her mascara using the throat of the barrel to see her reflection, I put the gun back together. I am ashamed to let lead or copper touch that finish.

The barrel bushing was super tight and required a light touch with the supplied wrench. The action felt like it was on ball bearings and the trigger was a delight with minimal if any overtravel as well as perfect take up in my humble opinion.

So, I went to the range. Kieth is going to hate this part. I had my newly returned SA Champion with me too. I am fortunate enough to have five mags so I loaded them progressively. 1, 2, 3...etc rounds in each respective clip. On the third shot it seemed "funny". Changed clips, fourth shot locked the slide back with one shot left in the mag. I applied a judo chop to the rear of the slide after removing the mag and soldiered on. The fifth shot locked the slide again and my judo chop was insufficient. I tried cursing and judo chopping, my friend was amused.In the end it required the assistance of a rubber mallet to release the slide. I took it apart, sent it back on my dime and waited.

Kieth at DW thought he might be able to have it back before Springfield could get my Champion back to me. He was faster but the SA showed up at my door before the DW. DW took only two weeks to repair vs. SA taking about seven.

So, the fit is still just as nice with a touch up to the spring plug checkering...looks great BTW Kieth. Oh, and you can now move the slide again, that's a plus. They replaced the ejector, ej. spring and lapped the frame and slide.

Back to the range I go...again with the SA because I AM going to shoot something. I put 50 WWB through the DW and was giggling. Supremely accurate in my hands. Another 50 WWB, this is fun yet dirty. So how about a clip through the SA...sure. Ok, that's nice, back to the DW.

LOOOONNG story short: I love this gun. Kieth and his gang corrected a pistol that had tolerances just a bit to tight. I can honestly say that in my hand, I shoot this 10 times more accurately than any other pistol I have fired to date. I did put a few more mags through the SA just to see if it was a fluke. It was not. By the end of the session, I had fired 300 rounds, mostly through the DW. My hands were not done. My targets were toast, my wallet was lighter and if someone would have offered me another 300, I would have shot it...accurately.

I'm going to put a good coat of oil on the SA now. Thanks for ruining my life Kieth! How do I get my hands on another for the price I paid now?

$849 +tax.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
When i lap mine i use the slurry mix which is JB bore paste and Mobile one JB is non embedding and works very well for hand lapping .. Mix till it just sort of starts to drip and its ready for use

Or jb bore paste and Kroil Brownells sells them together mix the same way

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Excellent pics too...I like them...especially the one on the bottom. Stainless can be a PITA to get good pictures of. Good job...nice pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I use polishing compound of 1500 grits, it comes in a squirt bottle by 3M for polishing out swirl marks. I remove all the guts, slobber the rails down good and put the empty slide back on, and have at it.

Its always worked quite well for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the write up Kosmo. You forgot to say that your Springer failed the same day the DW did. Sorry we didn't get it back to you sooner.

When lapping we use the 800 grit from Brownells and soup it up real good. Sometimes our rails are so tight the 800 is too course. Just go slow and steady but don't do it too much or you will have a rattle for a gun. After cleaning all the compound out oil the rails liberally and work the slide back and forth about 200 times to burnish everything in.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Thanks Keith, that is the stuff I was asking about from brownells.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, I got my CBOB after reading about them here...glad I did as they are one fine
weapon...dead on accurate also....for me the balance and weight cut recoil but the big thing is the sights I have on mine are the biggest contributor to the guns accuracy...for my old eyes they are the best factory sights bar none...thanks DW...

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hello and excuse me?

Kosmo, what lube did you use on the initial break in?

Your experience resembles mine on a STS Para .40 to 10mm project a few years back, mine had galled. After a call to Para I found that Para used similar STS on frame and slide AND that military CLP was NOT the lube to use on the STS Para...

What lube does DW recommend??
We have on of the DW CBOBS in stock and several customers have mentioned the sticky feel of the slide, need I worry about galling in a customers hands?

We have sold a 10mm CBOB to an Army pilot fresh back from the sandbox, it failed in several areas and the gun was returned to DW then returned. The gun is still FIGMO!

At this point I'm feeling very uncomfortable in selling DWs, I'll read some more here tho!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts