1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone worked with a caspian titanium frame and of so how hard was it to work with doing something like bobtailing?

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
can't help with your frame question, Jerry
but i have a big buck carpet cleaning wand that's made of all titanium.
(my biz is carpeting cleaning, so if ya'll have any questions about carpets and upolsterly, I can help:biggrin:)

anyway, I've cut and notched the wand to easily accept different tool heads.

Ti is hard material, but from my experience cutting/shaping the Titanium used for the wand, all the "normal" metal cutting tools worked fine

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking a titanium frame would make a good carry gun as it's about 5 ounces lighter than steel and tough stuff. It might be ok to work with, just a little more effort. The thing is I bobtail with a hacksaw, file and sandpaper so it would make more difference than someone that used power stuff.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
I hear you, Jer

I don't know if the ti used on my wand is much different/harder than a Caspian frame, but the wand could of been cut/worked with hand tools.
matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, I used a hack saw to make the rough cut notch cause I kept binding/breaking dremel cut off wheels

It's hard, but not hard like hardened tool steel.

I think the a ti framed gun would be the rasberries for carry.
It's has the weight like alluminum, but much stronger.

I think we'd see more Ti carry guns if not for cost.
Like many metals, I hear Ti went thru the roof in cost too.
(and it was already expensive compared to steel and alluminum)

example;
The wand i bought I bought 3-4 years ago cost $900 bucks.
They discontinued it when the Ti prices sky rocketed.
Then re-introduced it last year.
Now it's MUCH thinner, cheaper made, (and probably in China to boot) and sells for $1300

..L.T.A.

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now THAT is really sweet. I would love to build a ti bobtail and a damascus slide would definitely be a cherry on top. It would also look good with a black slide, maybe even melonite.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Nice for sure i wonder a real price on it

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO idea what ontarget gets for their builds, they do good work.

The best I could do is start with a titanium frame from caspian and go from there little by little.:) Like gunfighter says, a "when I get my wish list".

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I thought it was when i get my Millons

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, probably will be it.

Here's a caspian series 80 rail build that went for at 1700.00 but it's not a ti frame.

http://www.ontargetcgw.com/basefile/caspian-xtreme.htm

I think a good way to go would be to get a ti frame, send it to bob (if he does stuff like that) to fit a fusion slide and barrel to it and then finish the rest myself. I think they have to carbonize the ti rails and I have no idea what that entails.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looks Good except that external extractor .. Shoot Bob a Email and ask about the TI frame see what he says

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will when I get to that point. I'm asking him aobut a 5" bobtail now that will also have to wait.:)

If you notice it also has the series 80 porthole the sigs had. I really don't mind either though, if I was building I would probably go internal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts