1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have no experience what so ever with loading my own, but I have a load in mind that I'm wondering about. However, I don't know if it is possible. What I have in mind would be suitable (though maybe on the weak side) for critter control out of a 1911. I would be very interested in a .45acp round loaded with hard cast pills of somewhere between 230 & 260 grains at 1000 fps. Basically duplicating the most powerful standard pressure .45colt rounds. Now I realize that this would have to be +P or +P+, which is doable. I'm just affraid the OAL of the cartridge would be too long with such bullets. Does anyone with reloading experience know if such a round is possible? I think it would make a decent "woods round" for black bear and mountain lion. I know it wouldn't be ideal, but it would up the anti of the .45acp and could be carried in our beloved 1911. If anyone can load such a round, You may be able to make a little money selling it to fellow mwmbers such as myself :wink:.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Sorry guys, I just realized after I posted this that there is a section for reloading topics. Please feel free to move it. i appologize :confused:
Done:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
That may be possible with a 230 grain slug...but I don't think 1000 fps with a 260 grain slug will work...Unless you set it up for 45 Super (that MAY work...I don't know)
tsp45acp (Tracy) shoots pins with 255 grain bullets...so he may be able to help you with the OAL and load data.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply and for moving the thread. I figure that the length of a heavier (255 grain) projectile might not work in the magazines or chamber of a .45acp. if it can be done though, it would be a pretty potent load! I think with hard cast bullets it would have very respectable penetration.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
255's will feed in a 1911...but I think the velocity is about 850...and that is maxed.
But even that would penetrate pretty darn good...that is pretty much an average 45 Colt load.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Look into Clark's 460 Rowland conversion kit. The kit goes for around $400 and is actually a true drop in on most 1911s. The top load in 460 Rowland is a 230 grainer going at something like 1300f/sec.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I can't imagine frame life will be super long.. the 1911 wasn't ment to be 44mag ..

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Denis,
Thanks for the link. That seems to be a great deal. It has been a long time since I have read anything about the .460 rowland. That is something to seriously consider. The round must have extreme levels of pressure to get that kind of performance out of a case the length of .45acp.

Bud,
I'm there with you regarding frame life, but i assume it would be okay for a limited amount of sighting in/ function testing, and then carrying it in the woods for "just in case."

I'll have to look up the price of ammo, but I'm sure it is completely unreasonable.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay guys I just looked up some info on the .460 Rowland. The case is 1/16" longer than a .45acp case. These puppies are loaded to 40,000 C.U.P. Oops, I forgot to look up ammo prices. The velocity is very impressive. 185 grain pill at over 1500 fps, 200grn at over 1400 fps and 230grn at 1350 fps. this would make a good hunting round. On Clark's website, they said they are developing a carbine for it. Anyway, the .460 rowland is not exactly what I had in mind with the original post, but it has been a fun tangent, and definately something to consider in the future.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would be very interested in a .45acp round loaded with hard cast pills of somewhere between 230 & 260 grains at 1000 fps.
I considerd that route several years ago, but reconsidered because of pressures and my inexperience in calculating the load I was after.
So, I went to 10mm for pin shooting. With DTs 230 WFNGC bullets at over 1100 fps, yeowzer!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not sure. I know he was a fan of 231 and Unique so I'm guessing that it was one of those two powders.

I haven't talked to him in a few years. He was my FFL when I lived in the Chicago suburbs. Really nice guy, turned me on to 1911's and sold me my first, a Norinco that I still have. Last time I talked to him his wife had passed away and he had sold most of his guns except a tuned Gold Cup.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Donkey77,

My pin load right now is a 255 lswc--5.0 gr Unique 1.175 OAL. This IS a +P load in several manuals. My gun currently (my 5" gun anyway) is setup with a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop (no radius), #18-#20 recoil spring w/ Sprinco recoil reducing guide rod.

Don't know what they chrono at cuz I don't have a chrono yet--------------------------------But I ordered a Pact chronogragh last night.

I'm pretty sure that I'm getting 850fps. But I'll know more when my chrono comes in. I shoot pins the 3rd Sat of the month & I'll take several loads with my that day. Sorry I can't give you more help right now.

Like RidgeRunner said, if you already have a 5" 1911, 45Super isn't hard to setup. Basically, my setup with a heavier recoil spring (#24) should do. If you do reload for the super,

MAKE SURE YOU USE 45SUPER BRASS.

Only other thing with the hot loads is, you should change out your magazine springs and install heavy duty (extra power) mag springs (wolff). Hope this helps. Tracy

PM me if you need more info.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
To answer the original question, the 230 doing 1000fps is available now from Double Tap---either in a FMJ or a JHP. The 260 would have to be handloaded to get it up anywhere near 850-1000fps.

255 lswc (again handloads only) would prob be easier to get to your target velocity only due to the fact that lead doesn't have the same friction and is easier to get more velocity w/o pumping up the pressure too much. Tracy

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tracy,
You have so much info in that head of yours, I'm surprised it hasn't exploded yet! Unfortunately I don't load my own, but if I ever do, I now know who to contact :wink:. What kind of projectile are the 230grn double taps loaded with. Are your 255grn swc a softer lead? I am interested in a hard cast lead bullet for maximum penetration. I have also thought about the .45 super option. I realize that the fact that I do not "roll my own" kind of negates the whole discussion, but I was kinda hoping that I might find someone to manufacture the monsters for me that I could buy from. The double tap ammo does give me a factory option which is interesting. Thanks to you and all for all of the help thus far.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.