1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own and carry a Champ for summer CCW. I do not load/unload this gun much, but have noticed significant bullet setback in several rounds over time. I am using Federal Hydrashock low recoil 165 grn. cartridges.
I am using SA factory mags and Wilson 47d's. Anyone else noticing this problem with their Champs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CM mags didn't work, but the Wilson (w/ wolff springs)and SA mags feed well. Wondering if a different bullet / Cartridge or mag might work. Anyone use Tripp mags with a Champ.? I getting tired of replacing setback hydrashocks (I know 6 rounds isn't than much but I am cheap)

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I use Tripp in my Kimber & it woks great there. Wilsons in everything else. Never carried a Champ.
Cheap. Well that is OK. 6 Hydra-Shocks is $5.00.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I have noticed the same thing with my Champion Loaded. I think the taper crimp doesn't hold onto the bullet tight enough, and the rounds are nosing into the feed ramp and pushing the bullet back. But this happens in all of my 1911s some what. So far I have about half a box of rounds with set back bullets. If they aren't set back too far I'll shoot them in my Mitchell Gold Series, it's a fully ramped and supported bull barrel. If they are set back really bad someday I'll pull the bullets, dump the powder and throw them away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've never heard of the magazine making any difference. Setback usually happens in a lightweight gun with more recoil. S&W even warns about heavier bullets in their scandium guns. Either try lighter bullets or crimp them harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts